Fly Tying
sparkleminnow

The Borger Double Hitch

Here's the link

I tie my sparkleminnows using this finish, at the head. No glue needed...cheaper. No whip finish tool...cheaper. NEVER, EVER, comes undone...better. So why whip finish? You got me! I've had people ask me how I finish my sparkleminnow, for a very long time. I never really knew how to answer them. I learned this finish from a Gary Borger video, a LOOONG time ago. But, I use it on everything! It seems to be a very well guarded secret! In fact, I'll put it up against a whip finish, for simplicity, and durability, any day of the week!

My heart felt thanks out to Gary Borger, for this!

Looks like a great way to finish flies! Seems like it would cause a lot less thread build up, too. I still haven't understood a whip finishing tool. I learned to do it by hand and it seems so much more simple that way. Still doesn't hurt to put a tiny bit of head finish on it though :lol:

Thanks for sharing!

That looks very interesting. I must have a play with that. Unfortunately it will not relieve me of the necessity to have a shiny head (normally Diamond Hard UV resin) on my flies. Not that it isn't secure without it. I don't think it adds to the effectiveness of the fly. Its just that customers expect it! It amazes me: place a well dressed fly with no shiny head along side a poorly tied fly with a shiny head, and the one with a shiny head will sell. Especially true of Atlantic salmon flies. The customer may not always be right, but he is the one with the cash!

Cheers,

C.

If one stops and carefully analyzes this knot, and compares it to a whip finish, a needle knot, and a nail knot, it becomes apparent that they are all simply variations on a theme; some made with the help of a 'tool' some just the hand, and some being made with either.

Regards.

If you work for a living and have hands that are too rough for even lotion to smooth up, then a Borger knot or a regular hand whip finish is kind of out of the question unless you want a frayed mess at the head of the fly

This is a great thread, particularly for anyone beginning to tie. What an excellent teaching tool!

I also learned that double hitch many years ago, but once I figured out how to whip finish, rarely use a double hitch to finish a fly. Simply personal preference.

Still, it's a good knot to learn, as it can also be used in some flies as you progress with different steps to hold things together. There are patterns I've tied that required me to change hands or even change to a different thread, and I've used a double hitch to secure my work to that point. Keeps me from having to start over if I mess up & knock over my vise. Been there & done that. :(

Regardless of how you finish a fly, the important thing is that you do it in a manner that won't easily fall apart. I would bet everyone who has posted has witnessed flies that begin to unravel after a few fish or even just a few casts. Finish technique is often the difference between the quality of flies. Any fly assembled on a quality hook with high quality materials, but lacking good finish technique is no better than a fly made of low quality materials & on low quality hooks. Both may catch some fish, but the fly that lasts longer will usually catch more fish, making the time & effort to tie the fly more cost effective.

Crackaig, your point is well made. Those who buy flies expect them to be finished in a specific manner. However, adding a couple of coats of finish to a head on many types of patterns, particularly subsurface patterns also adds durability against abrasion, and is not necessarily done to hold the fly together. Anyone beginning to tie should learn that there is a difference here.

Again, IMO this thread is one that novice tiers can learn a great from and perhaps help explain to them why we use these techniques. As flytire pointed out, no right or wrong to it, just personal preference utilizing different methods to accomplish the same result. :)

If you work for a living and have hands that are too rough for even lotion to smooth up, then a Borger knot or a regular hand whip finish is kind of out of the question unless you want a frayed mess at the head of the fly

For over 20 years I worked in heavy mechanical engineering. Heavy enough to make a 3/8 drive socket set look like a toy! It took a lot of work with hand cream and a pumice stone to get my hands right. It is do able though. The skin on my hands could not be described as soft, it is more like well tanned leather now. I'm not sure how often humans change their skin, but if you keep going with the pumice stone and hand cream for a few cycles your hands will come right. Even my many scars have softened up a lot.

For me changing to making not quite a living from fly tying (demonstrating as well as production tying) and working as a close up magician gave me the incentive. I had to get my hands right as they are constantly on show.

Cheers,

C.