Fly Tying
Dzura

Pike tippet

Anyone heard of using spider wire as a bite guard instead of metal bite guards for pike?

I don't fish for pike, but I do fish for chain pickerel which are a smaller version of pike. I use the rio extreme tippet which is a braid similar to the spider wire. It works quite well, it is a great substitute for having to deal with wire tippet. The only drawback is that after a few fish it can become a little bit frayed and needs to be replaced, but I still prefer it over wire.

At like $10 a spool for 150yd I'll change it every fish over the wire which isn't much better

forget it buddy old esox will go through it like a hot knife through butter , im using a product called authanic wire which is like braided line but predators wont bite through it , i did a write up on it here if your interested

http://www.spanglefish.com/subbuggin/index.asp?pageid=342328

all the best

Dave, that sounds like great stuff - I wonder if there's an equivalent in the States under a different name. From the sound of it, it would make good bluefish leaders.

I've caught plenty of large chain pickerel and northern pike on Stren Superbraid ... 20# test, 8# diameter line, while fishing for bass with baitcasters and spinning gear. I don't see any reason why a spool of good braid fishing line won't hold any pike you catch. Sorry, McFluffChucker, but I disagree that "Ol' Esox" will cut through braided fishing line.

I've caught plenty of large chain pickerel and northern pike on Stren Superbraid ... 20# test, 8# diameter line, while fishing for bass with baitcasters and spinning gear. I don't see any reason why a spool of good braid fishing line won't hold any pike you catch. Sorry, McFluffChucker, but I disagree that "Ol' Esox" will cut through braided fishing line.

mike sorry to disagree but ive been fishing predators all my life and ive actually seen it happen on many occasions , i think you have either been lucky or your using some kind of new steelcore braid that ive never heard of , but if your a bass man then you wont have had as much contact and experience with predators as others but i can assure you they will and can bite through braid .

you can buy it direct from the uk from the distributor http://www.fastflies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=109_111&products_id=768 they ship around the world

best regards

dave

Wonder if anybody's tried circle hooks for pike flies. I've caught plenty of bluefish on circles that would have bitten off easily with a J-hook. Hook removal is a snap, which is no small issue with pike or especially blues. No pike in this neck of the woods, but maybe I'll try to hunt up a few pickerel to see if they work.

Wonder if anybody's tried circle hooks for pike flies. I've caught plenty of bluefish on circles that would have bitten off easily with a J-hook. Hook removal is a snap, which is no small issue with pike or especially blues. No pike in this neck of the woods, but maybe I'll try to hunt up a few pickerel to see if they work.

circle hooks are fantastic i wish more people would use them but people (even me) are set in there ways when it comes to hooks but i must say i do use them a lot more these days and every fish ive caught has been hooked in the lip and has gone nowhere near a trace . anyway heres a couple of big pike flies on 6/0 circles

post-3590-0-29372800-1347469918_thumb.jpg

if your interested in reading a bit more about about circles theres an article half way down the page on this link

http://www.spanglefish.com/pikeandpredatorfishingflies/index.asp?pageid=191130

thanks all

I agree with Dave, if your serious about landing big pike, wire trace is the only way to go 100% reliable. Some guys use 100+lb mono and say they get on ok but they still have failures.

I have got on well with the titanium traces for my flies. Lot less kink prone compared to 7 or 49 strand wires.

I did like some stuff called AI Pro Pro leader. A wire you could tie knots with. Worked well on some species like perch and zander that can be a bit hardwear shy. But I think they are out of business now.

circle hooks are fantastic i wish more people would use them but people (even me) are set in there ways when it comes to hooks but i must say i do use them a lot more these days and every fish ive caught has been hooked in the lip and has gone nowhere near a trace . anyway heres a couple of big pike flies on 6/0 circles

I was turned onto circle hooks about 14 years ago by Mark Lewchik, who's a widely-respected Connecticut fly tyer. Since then, I've been using them (barbless) for all my tuna and bluefish flies, and in that time, I can honestly say that I've never had a fish spit a circle hook once they're on, regardless of how much slack is in the line. If I had the chance to go after pike or muskies, I wouldn't hesitate to use circles. Aside from keeping the leader away from the teeth, they always catch in the softest part of the mouth, giving you more hookups.

I think I'm gonna give that dyneema steel a shot in salt water - there are a lot of toothy critters in this neck of the woods that will bite through leaders like they're sewing thread. Thanks for the tip Dave.

I agree 100 % that wire is the only truly dependable bite guard. I have seen pike bite through 80 lb fluorocarbon like it was butter, and braid that gets into those teeth fares little better. Everybody knows someone who has landed a monster pike or musky on 4lb test while fishing walleyes, bass, crappie, etc. Mono, Fluoro, braid - they all work until they don't. And when they don't, it's usually at the worst possible time. Do yourself a favor, use wire. Learn a loop knot to give your fly the most possible action, and go catch some fish!

Dave,

What knots do you use and what strength Authanics wire? The heavier stuff at 27.3 KG looks like it would handle muskies OK.

Thanks,

Rocco