Fly Tying
angelo24

Danvise

Lately my Vise has been slipping hook's every time I use tad bit of pressure, so I'am guessing that my Vise is going. I was looking into an Danvise with a extension arm but I have been hearing mixed view's about it only lasting a few dozen of flies or so. So I would like to hear what you guy's know about the Danvise? I was 2nd guessing about getting a Peak Rotary Vise. Any1 ever used these Vise's? What's the pro's and con's? What's a better choice?

Any vise if used incorrectly can be damaged. The DanVise usually comes with an instruction CD.

The first two links below are to reviews of a number of tying vises. The last three are specific

for setting up a Danvise and adjusting the jaws. Adjusting the jaws is where I believe most

people who have trouble with the vise find it. The Extension Arm helps with the other major

issue with the vise(the small amount of space behind the tip of the jaws). Some people find

that many of the parts of the vise are Delrin(an industrial plastic).

As you may have guessed. I use the DanVise. I have two. The first permanently clamped to

my tying desk which I've used for over ten years. The other is connectedto a pedestal for use

when I travel.

Hatches Vise Reviews

FlyFishOhio Vise Reviews

Setting Up Danvise

Adjusting Vise Jaws

How To Install Danvise Extension Arm

I've had the Danvise for about 5 years now. It has been a really good vise for me. It will do small size 32 all the way to my 4/0 bass poppers. Replaced the jaws once this spring for $18. ( years of not adjusting jaw tension right - operator error).

All the view's I've read I didn't know that a DvD came along with it, also found out some new information on the Vise thanks (Stippled Popper). I think that I will be getting the Danvise with the extension arm just make sure that I adjust the jaw's when switching hooks. Oh yea, what is the warranty on it?

I've had the Danvise for about 5 years now. It has been a really good vise for me. It will do small size 32 all the way to my 4/0 bass poppers. Replaced the jaws once this spring for $18. ( years of not adjusting jaw tension right - operator error).

Same here, I ruined my first set by over tightening them to the point the jaws flared. Bought a second set of jaws and promptly did it again even though I tries not to. I then took the flared jaws and slowly ground the sharp point off to a more rounded tip....no more problems with hooks not grabbing in the jaws and it doesn't flare any more....not that I recommend grinding your jaws down.... :lol:

Murray

I have used a danvise for 6 or 7 years. Occasionally I tie small flies but mostly size 12 to 2/0. Bluegill to saltwater and bass. Never had a problem with mine. I find it to be a good, reliable all round vise. I find that vises are just like most other things. There is no perfect vise for all things. Compromise is always required. I would buy another one.

I have both the Danvise and the Peak and I'm happy with both, though I prefer the Peak. On the Danvise I tie up to 1 ounce lead head jigs on 6/0 hooks with no problems, though this may be pushing the limits of teh vise. I have also had the issues with the jaws flaring but since I rarely tie smaller thn #4 it's no issue for me. If I do tie smaller, now I just use the Peak.

I just bought a Danvise, and I couldn't be happier. I tied flies on all the vises in my local shop, and for the price this vise cannot be beat. Check out this review as well: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/so_many_vises_$50-$100.htm

My vise did not come with a DVD however. Someone did post it on YouTube though, (above) so it wasn't an issue. The reason people break the jaws on the Danvise is definitely user error. The jaw adjustment ratio is 10/1, so it is pretty easy to crank those jaws down too far. Just watch the Danvise video posted above, and pay attention when changing hook sizes.

When properly adjusted, those jaws will not slip hooks.

Good luck.

A Danvise was my very 1st tying vice.......tied with it for 8 yrs before buying a Renzetti, but I still use it for a travel vice.

I have been teaching kids and teenagers fly tying in my town angling club and we teach them on Danvise.

I was a bit skeptical at first buying these as I herd that It would get bad if you don't adjust it properly but I

found out that if the jaws barely holds the hook when the cam arm is at 45 ° to the jaws and then tighten it

all the way, you can get the full out of it, increase lifetime and the jaws hold the hooks firmly and tight.

I just started tying in the few months. I purchaed the Danvise and really like it. I would also recomend the extension arm.

I don't know when the Danvice came out but I have been tying on it since they did.. 15yrs maybe.. I wouldn't own another vice..

I used a Danvise for MANY years as a travel vise and it performed wonderfully. I used it at home too, but not as often as my DK.

I ended up giving it away a few years ago to a friend who wanted to try tying. When I gave it away it functioned as well as it did on the day I purchased it.

The extension arm wasn't an option at the time I purchased (at least it wasn't advertised).