Fly Tying
Ristarwen

International Fly Tying Symposium in Somerset, NJ

Hey guys,

Just picked up the most recent issue of Fly Tyer and there was a blurb about the International Fly Tying Symposium. Somerset is just a few miles from where I live, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to take the weekend off from work, or even just one day. Has anybody been to this thing before? Are any of you guys going?

I think it sounds like fun, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to blow off two weekends in a row from work (as the next weekend is Thanksgiving).

What do you guys think? Anyone going that I could meet up with? I'm not sure that I could get The Guy to come along...he still doesn't get why the corner of out bedroom is all cluttered with pokey things and bits of dead animals.

Here's a link to the website for the thing.

These things are usually fun - I used to go to a lot of shows, but there's so much quality stuff (and videos) available online these days that I don't bother much any more. (not to mention the fact that I already have enough materials to stock several fly shops) If you're relatively new to tying, you can probably pick up some valuable tips and ideas by attending the seminars. It's also a chance to see a lot of materials in person, which is always helpful. If I lived closer, I'd probably go, but it's not worth the five-hour drive, at least to me.

I went about 4 years ago and had a blast, many people and lots of enjoyable sights and things to do at the event. There is also another in January that is apparently even larger, The Fly Fishing Show, Somerset, N.J. I have not been to it. I flew in from Texas, made it to the hotel with relative ease, and the help of a couple of very friendly New Jerseyites. The accommodations at the hotel were great, with good food and great convenience; the meet was just downstairs in the same hotel. Were I to go back for either event, I would stay in the host hotel. It was great!

I try to go but because i work for a greeting card company we are usually very busy.If not then i go but prefer the fly fishing show in January.

I'll probably go to the fly fishing show in January, and I really am only half an hour's drive from Somerset. I think that this could be a really good time, and if anyone wants to, we could even have an FTF meetup. I dunno, go out to a pub, have a round, talk flies... Let me know what you guys think.

The Fly Tying Symposium is strictly fly tying. Compared to the Fly Fishing Show (same organizers) there are more vendors of materials. Vendors include people like FeathersMC, and Gaelic Hooks, Collins and Keough hackles as well as other exotic and not-so-exotic suppliers. It's a good way to learn about the latest in materials and techniques. All the classes and breakout sessions center on fly tying, with the exception of two casting classes, one with Bob Clouser and one with Gary Borger. There will also be about 3 times as many demonstration tiers as you would see at the FF show. The list is a veritable who's who in the fly tying world.

If your passion is fly tying, this is the one you want to go to. Check it out:

http://www.internationalflytyingsymposium.com/

I will be at both shows. As has already been stated, the November show is the one to be at for tying, but they are both very good. Some sort of planned meet up sounds like fun and it would be great to meet some of the FTF folks in person.

Mike.