Fly Tying
breambuster

October Bluegill Swap Club

Here's the list for October. We have AT LEAST one open spot. If anyone is interested in joining until the end of the year, please let me know. The pattern for October is a Nymph, November is Foam, and December is "Your Favorite Bluegill Fly."

1. Breambuster - SM - Completed

2. Riffleriversteelheadslayer - Received

3. Famil00 - Received - All Flies For The Rest Of The Year

4. Ristarwen - Received

5. IMX -

6. ChefBen4 - Received

7. Yetavon - In The Mail

8. Dreamcaster4639 - Received

9. BassMouth87 - Received

10. FrequentTyer - Received

11. Fshrmanms - Received

12 Crackleback-

Im doing a beadhead "skinny nymph".

The tail is of the fly is pheasant tail. It happens to be a pheasant tail from my latest hunt (yesterday) :D

IMG_9972-12_zps1790a44b.jpg

If there really isn't anyone else that wants to join in, I can take a spot. :unsure: (if there is someone else, though, that's totally ok) I don't really fish yet, but where I am panfish are much more accessible than trout, and when I do start fishing, that's what I'll be going after.

My flies are still kinda ugly (but I'd of course send out my prettiest ones), and if you'll have me I would like to join and see how others tie. How many flies should I do? 11? 12? And when's the due date?

Ristarwen, the due date is Oct 31. The theme is a Nymph pattern, so that's pretty simple. There are 12 swappers, counting you, and you won't be getting one of your own pattern back. So you need to tie at least 11 flies. Most swappers go ahead and tie 12 (and sometimes more) and I get to keep the extra for doing all the stuff the Swapmeister has to do. But that is entirely you call. But you must send at least 11 flies. They should all be the exact same pattern; same size, same color, etc. Be sure to send a self addressed stamped envelope so I can get your flies back to you. And be sure to use REAL stamps and not a metered postage label because they are dated and are only good for the date on which you buy it. Put your flies in a crush proof box. I like to use an Altoids mints box. And the final thing is to put toe tags on each fly. The toe tag is just a small slip of paper that has your username and the name of the fly pattern. When you are ready to send them, let me know and I will Personal Message you my address.

Thanks for volunteering to take these last 3 months.

Breambuster

great hunt Ben there is some fine dinning there

Thanks for having me! I'll do my best! :D

And Ben, those are some nice pheasants!

Should I send some along with the flies?? :blink:

We don't have them in my neck of the woods, at all. I've never eaten one. But it looks like you got a lot of them. What is the limit? Did you "limit out?" Congratulations on a great hunt.

BB

How about after I can start eating solids again you bring a couple up and I will grillem up and we eat before we go hit some trout water?

Now you are talking!! Have some going in the smoker this weekend!

We don't have them in my neck of the woods, at all. I've never eaten one. But it looks like you got a lot of them. What is the limit? Did you "limit out?" Congratulations on a great hunt.

BB

Bream! Pheasant is my favorite game-bird to eat. I like it grilled as riff mentioned and LOVE it smoked. They are real lean and to me just an awesome flavor. Where I hunt in NE Lower Michigan we dont have any pheasants, however a whole lot of ruffed grouse! These birds were taken on a pheasant ranch so the limit is dependent on how much you want to pay :blink: . I went with a couple uncles and that was our take for the morning. I ended up bringing home 10 birds which will make a nice meal for deer camp come November.

I have a ton of partridge here by me and if you talk nicely to the farmers you sometimes can hunt thier fencelines for pheasant but anymore that is a rariety but pheasant is such a delicate interlacement of tastes that its worth the hassle my all time favorite dish is pheasant breast stuffed with wild cherries and baked with a moral mushroom sauce and served with sauteed asparagus and long grain wild rice its a local recipe and I collect everything throughout the year as it comes into season some things just taste better when it comes from the wild instead of the supermarket

I have a ton of partridge here by me and if you talk nicely to the farmers you sometimes can hunt thier fencelines for pheasant but anymore that is a rariety but pheasant is such a delicate interlacement of tastes that its worth the hassle my all time favorite dish is pheasant breast stuffed with wild cherries and baked with a moral mushroom sauce and served with sauteed asparagus and long grain wild rice its a local recipe and I collect everything throughout the year as it comes into season some things just taste better when it comes from the wild instead of the supermarket

Where are you located Riff? I assume near the Rifle River? If you know that neck of the woods, Ill be heading up to the Deer Camp tomorrow AM which is in Curran.

Getting started now on my flies, since I'm still pretty slow at the vise. I've decided on a Carrot Nymph variation, and (if there's interest, if I have time, and if I don't get too frustrated with the tie) I'll also tie a dozen Marabou Damsel Nymphs to go along. ;)

I was planning on doing size 12s...is that too big/small?