Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DanJ

Steelhead/brown run

I guess the topic title and description sum it all up... But hey sorry if the question is a dumb one but I really am just getting into fly fishing for trout and salmon.

So if anyone can let me know when steelhead run and do brown trout also run? I am looking at fishing the Pere Marquette. Thank you for any help you can offer.

The Pm does not get much at all in Lake Run Browns, but it does have a very nice population of Resident river browns that can easily get over 20"+. Right now the main run is King (Chinook) salmon which start about first week of September and will stay till the all spawn and die off by about the end of October. There are a "few" steelhead in the river as of now, but the main run of fall steelhead on the PM will start about the first of November and stays good all the way through the winter because a lot of the steelies in that river will "winter-over" in the holes. But the main fall run is the month of November.

Steve

The Pm does not get much at all in Lake Run Browns, but it does have a very nice population of Resident river browns that can easily get over 20"+. Right now the main run is King (Chinook) salmon which start about first week of September and will stay till the all spawn and die off by about the end of October. There are a "few" steelhead in the river as of now, but the main run of fall steelhead on the PM will start about the first of November and stays good all the way through the winter because a lot of the steelies in that river will "winter-over" in the holes. But the main fall run is the month of November.

Steve

Thank you for the response. can you make any suggestions to what will work?

Mostly Nymphs like black stone flies, Hare'e ear, PTN. Then eggs flies (Clown Egg is a great pattern for Pm steelies). Swinging speys/streamers is also pretty effective in the fall until it starts getting really cold, then mostly small nymphs and pale color eggs in the winter months.

Steve