Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

55g Mbuna project (Yes tanks #2) !!!

Well here we go again :D Picked up another 4ft tank yesterday. It was listed as a 60g but measurements are 48.250" x 12.5" x 22" so it's 1" taller than my other 55 but I'm callin' it a 55g This one will be going along the wall opposite of the other 55 I just finished building and is now cycling. Found this one not even 2 miles from my house, came with the stand and snagged it for $75. Factoring in the fact it was just a stones throw away from my door as well as how clean it is I think it was a pretty good deal.

First thing to do was to do a leak test on it this morning, holding water is always a plus in a tank lol. It passed with no problems....

tank1w.jpg

I "think" I made the decision to stock it with ...

1-M/4F Pseudotropheus socolofi

1-M/4F Cynotilapia Afra

1-M/4FMetriaclima estherae

5-Synodontis multipunctata

Not set in stone yet, but I am leaning that way.

A trip to Lowes to get the needed supplies for this tanks DIY 3D background....

aquarium2g.jpg

I'm planning something similar to the basic idea of my other 55g where I did the back lite cave openings behind the background, but I plan to do this one a bit different. Rather than a cave opening style like on the other one, this one I am thinking of doing more of an open water "trench" where the 3D background slopes down on an angle and a lot more of the tank near the top and almost the full length of the upper part of the tank is "open water" with the back lighting cold cathodes like on my other build. Also planning on doing this background more of a tan/brown color instead of gray tones. And in addition to the blue back lighting like on my other tan, I am thinking of adding some yellow & orange cold cathode lighting as well which will run off a timer so that the open water will be blue during the day and during the night, but in the evenings it will be yellow/orange to simulate sunrise/sunset.

So basically somewhat of a combination of these two pics to use as the basic design ideas.

underwater2.jpg

underwaterk.jpg

Then with the addition of the yellow/orange cold cathodes along with the blue ones it will give it this sort of look morning&evening...Hopefully.

underwater3b.jpg

Steve

Im just going to wait until next year to look because I can't stand the suspense, but I'll bet just about anything that it will be worth the wait...

This one will be MUCH quicker since I am not building a huge wood stand from scratch ;)

Started work on the 3D background today. The way I have it planned out I will probably be doing this background in about five to six total sections. I was able to get the very first two sections done tonight. After siliconing pieces of foam and carving them out I quickly went over them with the heat gun to give the foam a real nice texture before paint/color. I then coated it with a base layer of Grey Drylok to seal the foam as well as give it a nice light base color. Then I went over that with some tan color Fusion paint to give it the tan tone I want this background to be. Then added some dry brushing with grey, dark olive, buff brown and white dry brushed highlights.

bg1zw.jpg

bg2dd.jpg

bg3vv.jpg

bg4f.jpg

bg5x.jpg

bg6ru.jpg

Hope to get more done tomorrow.

I had to go to town and get some cat food and noticed the little fighting fish (or what ever you call them) in their little bowls on the same aisle and couldn't help feeling sorry for them. I just stood there and thought about those little fish in that very limited space and imagined them in a huge aquarium with an awesome background and interesting lighting. I could just picture in my mind, those little fellows swimming around in a huge beautiful enviroment. A fish should consider it an honor to leave the pet shop and be destined to live out its little life in one of your creations. I once turned one of the rooms in my home into my bird room. I thought I had done something great because my cockateils (I can't remember how to spell it) had free range of an entire room and even had a tree limb mounted on the wall, but this was nothing compared to you steeldrifter. I can never look at an aquarium the same any more. No matter how many mermaids and sunken treasure chests are laying on the bottom, they just aren't in the same league..... I hope I am not speaking out of line by saying that a lot of members on this forum, including myself, just can't stand the anticipation and we greatly appreciate you already posting some pictures and are running at full steam on this one. I don't have any idea as to the fish that you plan on putting in the finished project because I would have understood the names just as good if you would have written them in Chinese, but I know that they are fish and they will have a much better life than those in other, lesser tanks and bowls that most people have. I hope you don't mind my clowning around at your expense because I am feeling better and finally have a pre-op date on the 23rd and am in a much better mood. All joking aside, you are a talented person and I admire anyone that takes that talent and uses it and then shares it with others. I thank you for that.

Thanks guys. netabrookie glad to hear you finally got set up for a pre-op now B)

Left side carved out and shaped.....

bg10b.jpg

Base coat of Drylok applied

bg11r.jpg

Main color applied Tan Fusion

bg12i.jpg

Mocked up in the tank so I can measure for building the side panels now

bg13v.jpg

bg14.jpg

I ain't looking and you can't make me.

I refuse to look at this tank until I've seen color (read: fish) in the other tank !!!

Steel, in the other tanks are you going to do any planting - like amazon swords, laterites etc? One of my buddies just picked up a 4ft tank and has started building the frame so been showing him the work you did for inspiration.