Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

55g Mbuna project (Yes tanks #2) !!!

Spent the last couple hours down in the shop building the right side panel for it. Now the whole background is done so I'm glad of that because now I can final clean the tank tomorrow and get it all siliconed in place for good. Then start washing sand and putting sand in it probably Wednesday after it has had a chance to off gas. So with some luck it will be filled with water and ready to cycle sometime next week (still have to get my hydor inline heater first).

In the right upper part above the right panel I am going to cover that with the same blue as the background upper section and then get a 12" cold cathode to light up the upper right part just like the back which should look really nice.

rightpanel1.jpg

rightpanel2.jpg

Now I can look at this tank ... you've done a lot since the last time I didn't look. I like the shading of this background stone a lot more!!!

My 2nd 55g is now all done and filled with water now today. Sand washed and more rock work added. Ended up getting rid of the lava rock and replacing it with some better looking stuff that is not abrasive like the lava rock was so it'll be better for the fish that way. Just have to wait for the inline heater to come later next week and once that gets here I can start cycling this one then after that.

I also mounted the T5 lights so that they are on about a 45 degree angle so it takes a lot of the "harshness" of the light away. So now it is a nicer look to the way it start darker in the back of the tank and gets brighter towards the middle& front of the tank.

tankdone1.jpg

tankdone2.jpg

tankdone3.jpg

tankdone4.jpg

tankdone5.jpg

Mike I KNOW you will like this picture with all the color :D This one is with the blue moon lights, cold cathodes, and orange CFL on to imitate a sunset in the tank.

tankdone6.jpg

Steve

You are correct, sir ... I love the colors.

With those rocks and the lights, this tank is looking

Puurrrrrrfect!

That one looks great. Are you going to feed the fish around the changes of light too?

I usually feed once in the morning (cichlid pellets) then right before bed I feed veggie flakes, that way the night fish (Syno catfish) that are in the tank have a chance to find food because they only come out at night.

Added about 25 more lbs of Petrified rock, have the sunset lighting positioned where I like the looks of it now, added a few silk plants which I like the look they add. XP3 is now filled with bio and tank is now started cycling tonight. Still not sure what I am going to stock in this one. Thinking Cynotilapia afra and maybe one or two other species but nothing set in stone as of yet.

done3d.jpg

done4.jpg

done5y.jpg

done1.jpg

Yeah, I like this one much mo' betta !!! I like the rock and plant additions and the more colorful "alive" look it gives the tank.

Figured I'd update this one as well. In the past couple weeks I've added some more pertified rock, a few plants, and today added some Malaysian drift wood after boiling it for 1.5 hrs to leech out all the tannins. Should be ready for fish in this one very soon now.

woodz.jpg

Had a nice surprise tonight. Checked the water parameters and they are...

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 30

PH- 7.4

For those that don;t know what those numbers mean....Means I Just have to do a small water change in the morning to get the Nitrate down to about 10ppm and this tank is now ready for fish B)