Fly Tying
flytire

NOVEMBER FLIES

Piker 20,

You can use goose for built wings, but most of the tiers of classic salmon flies use white turkey tail feathers dyed into various colours. Of course the original called for swan. Generally the larger the feather the easier it is to marry, it also helps if the feather is flat. Get friendly with someone at Bearnard Matthews, they put ton's of white turkey feathers into skips at this time of year. For some reason people have chosen to ignore tradition at Christmas, and eat turkey.

Cheers,

C.

I've got a bag of turkey feathers so I will have a practice with those. Then when the goose arrives I'll have a play with those too.

I have been playing with this articulated streamer lately. I make the dubbing brushes for the underbody from Ice Dub. It's a slight off-shoot of the Strolis Ice Pick, I added some rubber legs and a deer hair head.

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

THECREAM,

Besides trout, I also tie for warm water fish. Black bass and sunfish species.

I like the rattlesnakes you did last month and like these too. Are there beads between the two hooks on your latest

articulated fly. I can't tell by looking. And the rabbit strip on the rear hook, is it only tied in at the front of the hook, or do you have a rib of some sort lashing it to the hook. Maybe the rear hook is poked through the rabbit? I can't tell. Could you explain the pattern a little.

Thanks SILKHDH

THECREAM,

Never mind. I saw a video on the Ice Pick fly. Rabbit tied on like a zonker. Tie on at the rear, then pulled over the dubbing brush body, then tied at front. They also showed a bead at the joint. So I guess I answered my own question. But thanks for posting the fly. I am sure to copy it. Looks like a good fly to simulate a salamander for spawning bass in the spring.

SILKHDH

THECREAM,

Never mind. I saw a video on the Ice Pick fly. Rabbit tied on like a zonker. Tie on at the rear, then pulled over the dubbing brush body, then tied at front. They also showed a bead at the joint. So I guess I answered my own question. But thanks for posting the fly. I am sure to copy it. Looks like a good fly to simulate a salamander for spawning bass in the spring.

SILKHDH

Yep, tied in at the rear then pulled over the underbody and secured at the front. I do have two small glass beads at the junction point. I try to fill/hide that little "dead" area by tying in a small clump of marabou at the bend of the lead hook after securing the articulated rear hook.

So, I decided to try dubbing brushes for the first time. It's got a white zonker strip tail, with holographic flashabou. The rest is light blue craft fur with maralash dubbing included in the head section. tied on a 1/0 hook. Didn't turn out too badly, to my eye. But any possible pointers/critique would be appreciated :)

seaflydubbingbrush_zps0ff8d9f8.jpg

PT, I really like the look of that fly, I used to fish a similar pattern, with a cone head.. got slammed all the time.. lost the damn thing to a tree 0.0

So, I decided to try dubbing brushes for the first time. It's got a white zonker strip tail, with holographic flashabou. The rest is light blue craft fur with maralash dubbing included in the head section. tied on a 1/0 hook. Didn't turn out too badly, to my eye. But any possible pointers/critique would be appreciated :)

seaflydubbingbrush_zps0ff8d9f8.jpg

One thing I have found as very beneficial is a wire brush to comb through any materials that I have included in the dubbing brush look back for my dubbing brush post

Some Jelly Belly Minnows #6.

Really just a surf candy but silver tinsel wrapping the hook then clear stretch cord for belly, some clear cure goo.

PB162031.jpg