Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fdfretes

Materials - Do you keep track of cost ?

I was wondering if anyone keeps track of their tying expenses. Other than big items and items that are easy to keep track of (vise, tools, etc.) does anyone keep an inventory and if you do, is it itemized by cost ?

One of the things I wonder for no special reason...What got me thinking was the fact that I just started tying a couple months ago, and already am befuddled as to how much in materials I have, since I dont keep materials in their original bags with the prices still attached.

Yeah I prefer not to think about it ... haha, I estimated I had about $2000 tied up << no pun intented >> in all of my fly fishing/tying dabocle, but it sure is relaxing to sit in front of the vise for a good hour on a long day, I keep all of the bags, if you starting buying saddles you can get wrapped into money real quick. I know my Rooster Saddle was $73 .... I think I got it a little bit reduced. All of my hooks are probably $100, yeah it adds up fast ... Have fun

I tried keeping track of my materials costs once, but when I saw how much I had been spending & realized my wife might find out, I abandoned that idea! :lol:

Collecting materials is an addiction many of us share. I already have enough materials to start a fly shop and keep adding to it, so what I've spent is not a priority. It's only money! ;)

Its worse when/if you move house and find you have X amount sitting in boxes and rod bags because the species aren't around that require that style of tackle. But you can't sell it either cause you never know when you might move again.

Oh geez no! I keep a detailed spreadsheet of my materials so I do not duplicate, but I do not even want to know how much I have spent. I would hate to see how much especially when I have 45 year old furnace in the house that needs to be replaced; it would make me feel too guilty!

In ten years i would hate to even guess! Probably i could go back, buy my wifes engagement ring again and my first pickup truck again and be somewhere close. Keep in mind it was a used ranger and my wifes engagement ring was on clearance (dont tell her!) But it gets up there real fast especially when you go through the expensive hackle phase and vise upgrades. I gotta quit talking about this or ill be looking at a new vise again. My newest investment was my own grizzly roosters, not just barn yard birds either. I bought hatching eggs from a breeder whos birds go back to miner and darbys birds. I paid 100$ for a dozen eggs...yes 100$ for a dozen eggs. I had 8 hatch out, 6 roosters and 2 hens, and i have to say im impressed with the birds. While they arent whitings quality they are running close to the quality of a grade 2 metz neck. They are only half mature but they are old enough to pluck and use the feathers, they tie nice. But look at all the junk you could buy if you didnt have fly tying materials to buy!

Evan

Sounds like I'm in the minority here.

I have a spreadsheet where I track all of my purchases - or most, since it's not perfect. I also use the spreadsheet to track materials that I need, ranked in priority, including the pattern it will be used for. The spreadsheet is also used to track my monthly budget and how I've spent against.

Single income, two growing boys - for the sake of our marriage my wife and I agreed on a monthly budget I can use for fly fishing. I want a new reel, save up. New rod, save. New materials, use what I have in the budget. It's made for a much happier marriage, and better fiscal situation.

That was my justification...when I heard complaints I proposed the following: Would you rather me being at a bar spending $40 for drinks and risking stupidity or have my butt at home in front of the TV tying ? The expense is the same or less with tying, I have more fun...and you dont have to worry about where I am...win win to me...

Found out the other day that my average monthly spend on materials is less than the cost of a round of golf at the local coarse. That made me feel much better about the cash.

Cheers,

C.

I've heard a local shop owner use that reasoning on a lady who was looking at an expensive waxed jacket. "well its still less than your husbands round dear"

It just proves golfs even more nuts than I always thought.

never tracked the cost of my hobby and dont intend to start any time soon.

i'd only forget to make entries and then what good would that do.

it would just give me a headache.

if i was a commercial tyer, then i would probably have to do something for the tax man.

Uh.....NO! I don't want to know......more importantly, I don't want my wife to know!

Mike