Fly Tying
fdfretes

Trolling with fly rod

Ive got a question about rod strength and use/application.

I am originally from Paraguay in South America and have several friends who are fishermen. We normally do some trolling for Dorado or as some of you may have heard it referred to as, Golden Dorado.

We generally use medium to medium/heavy rods and abu garcia reels and troll some mid-water lures but since I have recently joined the fly-fishing addiction I want to fish these with a fly rod. Where my troubles begin is that I do not have a boat of my own and normally am limited to going with them when they go, and I do not wish to impose a different style of fishing on them.

My question is, will a 10wt or even something heavier like a 12 or 14wt rod be able to take the strain of trolling ? Are there any risks ?

More specifically, I am thinking about a TFO rod, and a heavy duty reel such as an Abel Super 10-14

I do not want this to turn into a discussion of purists vs...well, me...

I just want to know if this is doable and practical, since they are very good friends of mine and would like to continue going fishing with them but take these fish with a fly rod instead of conventional tackle. If need be, I will leave the fly rod at home and fish with conventional tackle in this specific scenario...

What kind of line will you be trolling? A floating line is going to have less drag than a sinking line that is under the water surface. But I would think that a 10wt would be fine for it. There can't be anymore pressure on te rod than if you were actually fighting a fish on it. Also, you could just figure out a way (hold it if you have to) keep the rod horizontal so that all of the drag created from the line is on the reel. That's what I would do. Hope this helps.

What kind of line will you be trolling? A floating line is going to have less drag than a sinking line that is under the water surface. But I would think that a 10wt would be fine for it. There can't be anymore pressure on te rod than if you were actually fighting a fish on it. Also, you could just figure out a way (hold it if you have to) keep the rod horizontal so that all of the drag created from the line is on the reel. That's what I would do. Hope this helps.

ifly has given you some great advice. I've trolled the flats and mangrove canals for tarpon and snook with a 10 wt. behind a motorized flats boat. Worked just fine.

Bill

I have never trolled with a flyrod but I know that it used to be a common practice in the north east for land locked salmon. I would consider a glass rod for trolling to reduce the chance of breaking the rod. I think glass is somewhat more forgiving of high sticking than the black rods of today. I don't own an Abel reel and I am sure they are great reels. You might also consider a Colton (which I just bought) and one of the new Allen reels.

In new England they troll flies with sinking lines out of canoes and such for trout, they have used 5/6 weights for years. i use a 6 to 8 wt for bass and small stripers in lakes with a full sinking line or lead core heads. a 9/10 wt. should be fine for dorado..

I was thinking about an intermediate sinking line or a floating line with a little more weight on the fly itself to get it swimming deeper...greatly relieved to hear that its somewhat of a (common?) thing to do and that the stress on the rod will not be too much...thanks again guys! greatly appreciate it.

hey there, i troll flies from my kayak and its one of the most productive methods on stillwaters. I have a scotty brand fly rod holder mounted on the side of the kayak and i use a 5wt for trout and a 9wt for bass. I have used floating , intermediate and sinking lines, and they all work, the biggest factor in trolling is your leader. When i troll for trout i have used leaders as long as 20 ft, usually 4lb test, getting all that out along with the fly line can be a chore especially from a kayak. For less spooky warmwater fish a 9 foot tapered leader works great. If you are fishing stillwaters i highly reccomend a kayak. No need for a decked out fishing model, mine is a simple sit inside cost around 250 and the fly rod holder cost around 30. Not too bad on the wallet. Good luck!

We generally use medium to medium/heavy rods and abu garcia reels and troll some mid-water lures but since I have recently joined the fly-fishing addiction I want to fish these with a fly rod. Where my troubles begin is that I do not have a boat of my own and normally am limited to going with them when they go, and I do not wish to impose a different style of fishing on them.

I just want to know if this is doable and practical, since they are very good friends of mine and would like to continue going fishing with them but take these fish with a fly rod instead of conventional tackle. If need be, I will leave the fly rod at home and fish with conventional tackle in this specific scenario...

Okay ... now it's my turn to be the dummy. First off, are your buddies trolling under power? Or are you just drifting with lines out? If you are under power, it seems to me that you'll have to hold the reel the whole time to keep from stripping all the line out.

Also, I've found, with several people on a boat, somebody is going to get hooked if you are fly fishing while everyone else is fishing differently. You'll be very limited to where you can cast because you'll need to be aware of everyone else all the time.

Isn't trolling with a fly rod kind of like ... fly fishing with a baitcaster? They are two different kinds of fishing because they both work in different situations. I am just being curious here, and like the original post, not trying to get under anyone's skin.

We dont really cast, at all...we are under power but basically just plop lures into the water and let line out and start trolling...

A rapala might be more effective, but I would really like to catch some of them with a fly and like bringing fish in with a fly reel, palming the reel, and in general, fishing with fly tackle...

They are just two methods of bringing line in...I would prefer to bring the fish in using what I believe to be the harder one...thats basically all the justification - I - need... :D

I will not say whether the rod will hold up or not others are a lot more knowledgeable then me on that. What I would recommend is not trolling the rod but have it ready for when the school shows up in the prop wash. Once all of the lines are clear from the initial catch then cast to the remaining school circling the boat, you can also cast to the fish you see while running the weed lines looking for the fish. By allowing them to do the normal routine and you taking specific opportunities you may convert them when they see the fun you are having fighting the fish on the lighter rod.

I will not say whether the rod will hold up or not others are a lot more knowledgeable then me on that. What I would recommend is not trolling the rod but have it ready for when the school shows up in the prop wash. Once all of the lines are clear from the initial catch then cast to the remaining school circling the boat, you can also cast to the fish you see while running the weed lines looking for the fish. By allowing them to do the normal routine and you taking specific opportunities you may convert them when they see the fun you are having fighting the fish on the lighter rod.

I think you have the fish species confused. That's the problem with common names. You seem to be referring to salt water Dolphin or Mahi-Mahi sometimes also called Dorado. Coryphaena hippurus is the proper name.

fdfretes is referring to freshwater Dorado from South America, Alminus brasiliensis.

I've been known to drop a line w/my flyrod and "troll" as i paddle my kayak or canoe around a lake.....

Mike

post-624-0-84008100-1352584600_thumb.jpg

trolling flies with fly rods has been around for more than 50 years, mostly used from NY north into maine. what do you think they did with those large carrie stevens streamers.. I use my pontoon and either use the wind or row with 2 rods out.