Fly Tying
lostnwilderness

Travel Tying Kits

I have just been doing some initial research and thought the folks on here may have some useful ideas and experience. I am looking for a travel fly tying kit. Fishpond makes a good one - http://www.fishpondusa.com/roadtrip.cfm but at $90 it aint cheap. Does anyone have one? Mind doing a brief review of it? I like the smaller size of that model - I see a larger one by Fishpond and Orvis makes one as well. I don’t (think) I would want one that big. I am wanting to take it on trips out west, weekend trips around home and to some classes tying and lying sessions. I don’t think you would need the larger size. I figure some folks have to have come up with some DIY ideas. I have heard about gym bags and tackle boxes but am not really sold on either idea that I have seen so far. Anybody got any homemade jobs they are proud of?

Thanks Yall!!!

Hello!

I have found for me personally the perfect thing for taking my materials on travel and I even use it at home as an organizer. Now much like you I ran into the issue of traveling and needing my materials to follow and I hunted and hunted for these kits until I finally stepped outside the box. What I have found is an IRIS Extra Large PHOTO Organizer. Now i know this sounds insane but the pictures im going to include below along with the link to purchase this item will tell the rest of the story. Every box inside has a superb latch that closes very nicely as well which was a need!

Amazon Purchase Link --->>> HERE

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

Now for me this is my MATERIAL travel case for I could not figure how to get thread and tools into it so I have a thread organizer that fits those items but for your feathers and such I could not find anything even close to as good as this item.

I use an old cordura laptop shoulder bag and put my materials inside it clear zip-lock bags. It has padded dividers for your vise, and pockets and other zippered compartments for tools and other things. If you look around thrift shops you should be able to find one for very cheap. IMO with FishPond you pay $5 for the kit and $85 for the "FishPond" logo.

I have just been doing some initial research and thought the folks on here may have some useful ideas and experience. I am looking for a travel fly tying kit. Fishpond makes a good one - http://www.fishpondusa.com/roadtrip.cfm but at $90 it aint cheap. Does anyone have one? Mind doing a brief review of it? I like the smaller size of that model - I see a larger one by Fishpond and Orvis makes one as well. I don’t (think) I would want one that big. I am wanting to take it on trips out west, weekend trips around home and to some classes tying and lying sessions. I don’t think you would need the larger size. I figure some folks have to have come up with some DIY ideas. I have heard about gym bags and tackle boxes but am not really sold on either idea that I have seen so far. Anybody got any homemade jobs they are proud of?

Thanks Yall!!!

I've got the FishPond Roadtrip bag.

So far it has been great. My only issue so far is the Plano style box that it comes with for hook storage doesn't seal tight allowing the hooks to mix together.

I've since found a replacement that works much better.

The bag is well made and has plenty of storage for materials.

It is a bit pricy, but the all in one nature of the bag saved me a lot of time compared to creating my own solution.

If you have any specific questions about the bag let me know.

I've got the FishPond Roadtrip bag.

So far it has been great. My only issue so far is the Plano style box that it comes with for hook storage doesn't seal tight allowing the hooks to mix together.

I've since found a replacement that works much better.

The bag is well made and has plenty of storage for materials.

It is a bit pricy, but the all in one nature of the bag saved me a lot of time compared to creating my own solution.

If you have any specific questions about the bag let me know.

A solution for those not so tight hook boxes...Dollar store or WalMart sells sheets of stick on magnets, the same size as a sheet of paper. Cut out to fit inside the boxes individual spaces and super glue them in...hooks stay still and still come out relatively easily...my 2 cents...

Murray

Lost ... Boutdoors was selling a travel kit, and might still be. Look in the Trading Floor forum ... I think he wanted 50 for it.

Well, if I did this right, here is a link to mine;

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=63359&st=0&p=486379entry486379

My criteria was that i wanted a hard case (so it can bang around in the back of my car), cheap (so I made it myself out of leftover birch floor boards), and a place to attach my vice (used an old thwart from a canoe for the handle). I like it a lot. Perfect for when I go up to camp, etc.

I found a Mary Kay make up party display bag at good will for $4. It's the size of a large briefcase and has velcroed in clear vinyl zippered pockets with other large pockets for storing hook boxes, dubbing boxes, etc.

For traveling kits those are huge! How long are you going for and do you know what you'll be fishing for? What you are fishing for and the conditions will help you cut down on what you take.

This one is made up for river trout fishing. There is enough material to tie a dozen of each fly I may use. How many times have you gone through a dozen of a pattern in a fishing trip? It isn't common that you will. I don't think I ever have.

Packed.jpg

TravelKit.jpg

The bag is about 5" by 3 1/2". It will fit in a shirt pocket.

Cheers,

C.

dont over think this one

gym bags work for multi tasking and come in different sizes

jack-spade-nylon-canvas-gym-bag.jpg

use tubes for your spooled materials

Tubes-12.jpg

When I think of a travel bag for fly tying material, I am not thinking stream side. I am thinking of classes and tying groups where you don't know what you'll be needing. I've got a really good shop close to me, The Orlando Outfitters, that holds a "tie-in" once a week.

I am also thinking of the time I spend on the road in hotels, and the flies I might tie there.

An interesting topic, but I'm still waiting for someone to come up with the perfect solution. :rolleyes: I have a couple of plastic bins I picked up at Target. The smaller stuff I put in smaller boxes inside the bins. Big stuff, like dry fly capes, I lay in there. I'm not real happy with the arrangement, though, so I'm still looking.

Something like this might be a good starting point: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202021300/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=tool+box&storeId=10051#.UKVS7WewXEo

I use an old briefcase of mine. The folder areas are great for hackles or other flat material. The bottom holds my vise, spools of thread, hook boxes, etc.

The business card and pen area holds my scissors, bodkin, etc.

Not fancy, but does the job nicely, and was essentially free as it was sitting in the garage sale pile before I rediscovered it!

The only time I take a travel kit is when I am planning on an extended stay. Most of my kit is salty stuff and I pack it in small to medium sized sealable totes. My salt hooks are all in a plastic Plano box. Thread is in a box too. Tying tools are in another little flat tupperware container. It all goes into the trunk neat and rides with no problem. I only dig it out when I need more flies of a working pattern or need to 'match the hatch'. My vise is a clamp on and it seems that there is always a place to clamp it that is convienent.