Fly Tying
SCOwens

Coffee Grinder Dubbing

Has anyone made or watch a demonstration on doing this. I hear of materials melting. I have a dubbing I use frequently with making shrimp and I have aquired a coffee grinder. Just wondering who has experience with this method and how it works.

Simon O

I used a Braun grinder for years w/o any problem. You do not have to let it run long enough to melt anything. Just a few bursts willl do the job. But picking dubbing out of your teeth after drinking coffee is not cool.

Rocco

I use a coffee grinder......short bursts do the trick ,just take notes on how much of what materials you use.

Never had any problems with synthetics in the grinder until I tried blending some pink and orange Sow/Scud dubbing and it pilled up. Didn't run it long, just a series of bursts and I had a bunch of little balls interspersed throughout the mixture. Not a big deal, just pulled out 2 more wads and mixed by hand.

Regards,

Scott

I've used them with success, including even longer fibrers, lots of hairs mask and some long squirrel fibers. works just fine.

I've used the compressed air can/ziplock back method- it works, but it is too expensive long term unless you had an air compressor.

Never had an issue with a grinder either, but I really want to try this:

I've used a grinder, but haven't tried the compressed air trick. With the coffee grinder, I've found using small amounts of material and short pulses works best. Have fun.

I am in the process of making a slightly smaller version of this one. 95% done.

Is that in case you need 8 lbs of dubbing haha

Another method you can try is...

Get a big pickle jar (1.5 litre) & pour in 1/2 a litre of Luke warm water, Don't use hot water it can make the dyes run!!

Throw your dubbing in & shake vigorously for a while.

Drain of the water in a fine sieve & put your dubbing on kitchen towel to dry. Job done.

A couple of quick taps on the top is ALL it takes...

mt-dub-mix-_1_.jpg

...this one has been in service since 1975...

or, the air and baggie method, demonstrated here by "The Hopper Juan" (Juan Ramirez):

PT/TB ;)

I use my coffe grinder and keep a little 'recipe' book next to it so I can keep track of my blends. No problems with long or short fibers and I got the grinder at Salvation Army for $1.