Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steve P

Hook sizes for panfish

I've been tying for bluegills since I started tying. I've noticed that in the last few years that I rarely tie anything smaller than a #6 for the gills around here. Mostly tying darts on 6 or 4 jig hooks, chernobyl hoppers on 6 and 2, and panfish charlies on a 6 as I have since I started tying them years ago. I have friends who fish down to 12 but I just don't really tie down that far for gills. Once in a while I'll throw a #8 generic nymph but even those I normally tie on a 6 or a 4.

Steve

A number 6 or 4 popper will probably serve well when fishing for Bluegill if the object is to limit catching the smaller of

the species. If the water being fished is over populated with Bluegill to the point of being stunted, I've had to resort to flies

down to a size #12 on occasion if I was going to actually catch one, and not just count coup.

Size 8 is as small as I tie, with 4 & 6 the most used size for Bluegills. If I'm after Crappies, White or Yellow Perch, I may go up to a size 2.

Size #10 is my most used size for bream but I also throw #12 and have caught some 2 lb bass this year on a tiny #12 bream bug. I throw mainly #6 & #4 for bass but will pick up bream on that size fly periodically. The water I fish mostly is here in the city and they get hit pretty good by others and as Stippled pointed out, when they're small, you've got to go small to keep your rod bent.

Man, I wish I had some nearby water where a #6 would work like the #12 & 10 do.

Kirk

Guest rich mc

i dont do anything less than a size 10 in illinois. i also like a longer shank hook than normal,especially if a bead head is used rich mc

I typically fish #12 foam popping bugs for bream; but, as noted by Kirk, I have caught my fair share of 2-3lb bass on these same bugs. If you don't want to be pestered with having to release the smaller guys, stick with #8,or larger. FWIW, I have caught copper nose bluegills on #1 deer hair bass bugs! Quite exciting!!!

With respect to bass on a #12, it has been my experience that they are hooked either in the tongue, or the roof of the mouth; never in the jaw.

Cheers!

#10 is my main size but I also use a lot of 8's and 12's. Once in a while I will use a 6 or 14. I never go smaller than 14. At one time a #12 popper was my main topwater but I have gone to a yellow craft foam spider on a #10. The spiders are faster to tie and work just as well or maybe better because of the rubber legs. Love those panfish on the flyrod.

Interesting responses y'all, I'm trying to build a bit of a feel for what the market demands as to size of flies. I'm trying to vastly expand my youtube page to include a wide array of bluegill flies. This kind of thing helps me determine where I may best direct my focus. Thanks again.

Steve

size 10 and 12 are my go to bugs. gurgle pop on top, shellback dropper. great fun to catch two fish at one time. and yep the bass do eat these small bugs.

Almost all of my sinking and swimming flies are tied on #8 long or extra long shank hooks. My top water poppers are on #10 popper hooks. I tie a lot of streamers on #6 and larger hooks, mostly because I am hoping for bass ... but I catch a lot of sunfish on them.

The most cost effective and all around functional hook for bluegill flies is a Mustad 3261 in an 8 or 10. These are cricket hooks that sell for under $5/100. They are light as a dry fly hook but strong enough to handle even up to 4# bass (to which I can personally attest). Even though they are only one size apart, there seems to be a significant size difference between the 8 and 10. However, the 10 is very good for damsel flies.

Shoot 5 bucks a hundred is high for the eagle claw 084 that I tie panfish charlies on. I paid 36 bucks for a thousand of them!!!

Many people are missing out if not using small stuff. Last spring I got my PB 19.5" bass on a #12 popper that I do. There been many days where smaller was the ticket to catching fish where else the large flies were not!

Ditz...

In your post, you infer that you do not put rubber legs on your #12's. Why not? I put them on mine with 'smashing' success.

Regards!

Frank