Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

Transparent Intermediate fly Lines

I've seen the ads and few magazine articles but they all leave many of my questions unaddressed. Users here might know the answers.

How about line pickup on back casts, especially with a lot of line out and a bigger pike/musky pattern at the tip.

Does algae and otjer minigunk adhere to these lines? If so, what's best for cleaning them?

How durable are they after extended use?

Do you just need a tippet or a full length tapered leader when using them?

I actually have a bunch of intermediates but they are supposed to be floaters.

Thanks,

Rocco

I have rio aqualux intermediate in a 5 wt. and i use it quite often when bringing big bass flys through some heavy cover. it works quite well for medium length casts anything beyond that i dont recomend it. I do find it very durable and you should have no problem with pike or muskie. I find it best used in a float tube in still water but I have used it in moiving water with limited sucess. I havent had to ever worry about cleaning my line and ive had it for about 3 years with light use, it does kind of have a almost gummy texture to it though so it doesnt go through guides very well. I personally dont use tapered leaders with it because presentation isnt a huge issue with most sinking line styles of fishing.

hope that helps.

-Miles

How about line pickup on back casts, especially with a lot of line out and a bigger pike/musky pattern at the tip. I have found the true intermediate lines so 0.5 - 1.5 inch per sec will lift out well and cast nicely. If you leave the retrieve too long they will eventually sink deeper but a roll cast brings them up quickly.

Does algae and otjer minigunk adhere to these lines? If so, what's best for cleaning them? IME no more so than floating lines. In some cases less so. Simple washing up liquid takes off the grease and cleans them well for me

How durable are they after extended use? I don't fish every week but my Cortland one is 8 years old. Buy a quality line and the coating should be good. Don't stand on it with studded boots etc.

Do you just need a tippet or a full length tapered leader when using them? I find I still fish a longer leader than I would on a full floating line. so normally for me, 9 - 12 ft tapered to tippet.

I actually have a bunch of intermediates but they are supposed to be floaters.

Thanks,

Rocco

I agree with piker20, I've had a Cortland clear camo intermediate 7# for about 4 years, no problems & It gets used loads!!

I have used a clear intermediate 8wt for salmon in Alaska. Casts are fairly short, rarely more than 30 to 40 feet, and salmon aren't leader shy in the least, so I used 6 feet of straight 12# Maxima for leader. Also keep in mind that I was throwing gaudy flies with a lot of weight, so there was no finesse, and no question where the fly was. All that said, I used the same line for 6 years, and really liked it for that kind of fishing. It handled well, cast well, and shot well enough.

I did have to retrieve all but 20' of line before I could cast again, and there were no long smooth double hauls to 90', but for moving water and fishing 4' to 6' deep it works very well.

I think everyone has pretty much covered it. I am a real fan of the clear tip full float and intermediate lines. The rio f/i freshwater and f/i saltwater, along with the airflo clear tipped floating lines.

The clear tipped airflo when west coast steelheading i had to whip a small section of red thread just so i could see what the line is doing while mending and swinging.

Stealthy and durable, tho some brands do not perform well in conditions less than 10C. I know one SA kelly galloup clear tip will get really coily in the cold and quite stiff which renders it useless for winter.

The aqualux is great, smaller grain weight in the head compared to some lines.

Don't use agent x on a sinking clear line, it will cause it to float, if anything i think i use this 'glide' and 'whizz lube' but the 2 bucket system of warm soapy water and fresh water will work fine.

With rare exception all my heavy rods are set up with full intermediate sinking lines (10wt and on up). They simply cast better than any other type of line - no matter what the conditions are and you can use them for slightly sub-surface all the way to down on the bottom in depths up to and over 10 feet deep, depending on how soon you start stripping. All of my gear is set up for brackish and salt waters and the line I prefer is the Scientific Anglers full tarpon taper in intermediate (it's not clear, more of a translucent blue in color. There are some serious drawbacks to using an intermediate line.. the first one is that you'll need to strip in almost all the way, then clear it with a rollcast- then start it heading the other way, so quick second casts just aren't do-able. You can touch the water then backcast and shoot at your target, but once you let it sink -you're committed to a full retrieve. Another drawback is that you won't be using any popping bugs or surface flies with an intermediate either....

Among the very real advantages are that the line allows you fish at a precise depth (by counting down as it sinks my anglers can start their retrieve at the exact depth needed). The last significant advantage to these kind of lines is that they have a textured surface which allows you to really strike and hold a fish momentarily to promote strip striking fish well above 100lbs. I can't remember how many times I've seen one of my anglers unable to hold on to the fly line well enough to stick a really big fish... Many times their hands just slip away at the most crucial moment, when you've gotten a bite, point blank by a really big fish with a really hard mouth....

I have to note here that recently I'm seeing other manufacturers bring quality intermediates to the market but I've stuck to what I know will work. With a durable coating that's easy to maintain.... they hold up as well as can be expected in a really bad place for fly lines in general (Everglades National Park, with it's heavy mangrove jungle shorelines and all the oyster and barnacle covered places that fish really like...). Most of this won't have anything to do with freshwater needs but if you're headed towards some jungle fishing this kind of line is a must have...

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

I been using Rio's Clouser intermediate lines in 8wt(9yrs) and 10wt(6years) for long time now with heavy use and quite possibly their only best line they make. Floating lines dont do as well. If you keep them clean then they have held up tremendously.

I will be going with Airflo when I need a new line cause they have better lines that held up than Rio's by a mile! Haven't tried Cortland so but they should be good also.