Fly Tying
eastern fly

2013 Intruder Swap

Going to do Something like the Squitruder by Pat Cohen.

Full tying instructions, yep!

Kevin I can't send a recipe and tying instructions for my fly as the fly I am tying is a closely gaurded secret and if its contents were to get out it could be detrimental to the steelhead population of the world

Well I dont want to be the one that brought down the steelhead population.

Kevin

I am a huge fan of tying Tube fly but not sure if others are and if anyone has any issues with them. I have to get the articulted shanks. This is what I am doing so let me know what you all think. I havent decided which colors to go with or mix them up a bit. Feedbacks welcome!

post-35846-0-50477900-1356812863_thumb.jpg

If anyone does tubes can you send quick instructions on rigging and what to do. I have never used a tube fly ever and really have no idea. Also how on earth do you put them in your fly box? Won't they just roll around and get all mashed up? Any help appreciated if i am going to try to fish them.

Shanks on the otherhand kick ass, i fish them all the time so no issues there :)

have a look at this tube:post-42518-0-52210400-1356814736_thumb.jpg

The fluro green tube at the rear is where your hook sits. It sits on a portion of tube thats left naked when you tie. The idea is the dressed tube can slide off the junction tube (holding the hook) when a fish is hooked and the fish has no leverage from the tube.

You can tie your hook on intruder style with a loop and lock the loop knot into the junction tube. Some folk feel if the hook snags and the line snaps, it snaps the loop and the knot being in the junction tube allows the tube to be retrieved. I'm not sure on that front. I normally tie direct to the hook eye and then pull eye into Junction tube.

For storing, you either buy a lovely new plano style box with the lengthwise compartments or you can leave a loose hook pushed into the junction tubing and stick that in foam like a normal fly.

I find I have so many tubes I use a large A4 plano box.

have a look at this tube:attachicon.gifBaxter Tube 002.JPG

The fluro green tube at the rear is where your hook sits. It sits on a portion of tube thats left naked when you tie. The idea is the dressed tube can slide off the junction tube (holding the hook) when a fish is hooked and the fish has no leverage from the tube.

You can tie your hook on intruder style with a loop and lock the loop knot into the junction tube. Some folk feel if the hook snags and the line snaps, it snaps the loop and the knot being in the junction tube allows the tube to be retrieved. I'm not sure on that front. I normally tie direct to the hook eye and then pull eye into Junction tube.

For storing, you either buy a lovely new plano style box with the lengthwise compartments or you can leave a loose hook pushed into the junction tubing and stick that in foam like a normal fly.

I find I have so many tubes I use a large A4 plano box.

Thanks for that Piker20, um um just a couple more. With the tubes with a swap do people usually supply the hook? If not what are some good options. I may have to grab a bag.

I think i will just put the hook in the junction and store like a fly, should be interesting to give them a swim!

I guess i have used a 'tube' before but it was on 24kg standup gear for Mahi, and it was called a 'Pakula Lure' :)

Normally I would not expect hooks but I threw that Q out earlier on and I'm sure that hooks are in with this swap?

I normally use a partridge BMD or where singles only allowed the egg hooks sold state side are good for tubes. Anything with a shorter than normal shank and straight eye works well. If you tie a loop and hold hook that way the Intruder hooks like Gama will work fine. I normally use a 4-8 size hook for my tubes but some use much bigger or even a bit smaller. You hopefully find with the hook it swims a little more horizontal and not nose down. So some tubes suit heavier steels and others lighter wire hooks.

If I send out a tube I dont send the hook. Tubes work well. I cought bass on them as well as trout. One way to use a rippled fly box is to pin them with hat pins.

Kevin

Here are the ones I am submitting. I will add a hook guide on the back. Size 4 Owner or Gama hook is what I normally use. Simply run your line through tube and hook guide and secure hook with a polomar knot, secure eye of hook in hook guide with point facing up and fish. This is my technique as there are many out there. I figured you can't go wrong with black and blue.

post-34694-0-55468400-1356833915_thumb.jpg

post-34694-0-51479900-1356833930_thumb.jpg