Fly Tying
eastern fly

2013 Intruder Swap

good to see you back amongst the living there freak and when have you ever known me not to bring my A game

Thanks for the welcome, And you sir are one of the reasons I decide to participate. In the past I've received some suspect tyes, but I believe You and the other tyers here have a high standard where flies are concerned. Let the fur/feather fly my friends. Besides I can't turn my good tyin friend Kevin, that guy is awesome!

I didn't have shanks long enough for what I wanted so I am using streamer hooks with the bend cut off I am really stoked about this swap I got a gift card from my mom to the local fly shop so I made a list of stuff to go tomorrow and buy just for this swap I think I am going to do either purple and black or yellow and black or maybe orange and black

I'm sure what ever you do will be sweet. I am trying to figure out a color combo for mine. I also sent some PM's for the swap so just waiting for some answers.

Kevin

I do believe I'll stick with a good winter combo and do a black and purple.

Ok it will be a good swap. If we dont get it filled up we can either work with a single number with what we have or double up so everyone gets more. Let me know what you think.

Kevin

I'm kinda thinking smaller numbers=higher quality? I'm starting to see why people quote 1.5hrs per fly and as this is my first play at these flies I would like to give each one a good amount of time. I can't wait to swim this for some spring fish and just keep wondering why they haven't made the cross over into UK angling more. Reading about the guys using them on steelhead and the agression the fish showed compared to the 'old style flies', I say watch out seatrout cause you're going to be seeing some great flies this year. Especially when I've sorted through my new order of peacock neck feathers and can use the long ones for some great goat toe inspired intruders.

me too, smaller number of people is okay and probably good.

Intruders take the longest to tie for me. First you have to do the shank construction and attach the fireline and hook along with eyes or leadfree wire, then add glue and let it dry before you even start.

Piker20 a toetruder, haha that could be awesome need some huge neck feathers or actually for the front hackle/ collar they could work nicely.

ok, I have some pm's out to some great tyers. If any except we will take them. If not we can work with what we have. I will keep it open for a few days after Christmas then close it.

Kevin

I'm kinda thinking smaller numbers=higher quality? I'm starting to see why people quote 1.5hrs per fly and as this is my first play at these flies I would like to give each one a good amount of time. s.

One and a half hours a fly for an intruder? WOH! No offense but what you been smokin Willis? I guess if you really were painstaking about how you placed your materials on the shank it might take you tha amount of time. But they really aren't that complicated. OK here is a short concise readers digest version of how to tie an intruder.

Start with a shank, attach a 1- 11/2 inch doubled up length of fire wire or bite tippet which supports an appropriate size circle/octopus hook. now for the shank, from back to front: dubbing ball of UV or other "hot spot" 2-3 wraps of saddle hackle or schlappen, then some longer hackle like emu or ostrich9 like 4-6 feathers, Now an accent hackle of some kind, not dry fly length maybe a bit longer, wrap the shank with some flash cover up an inch or so, palmer the shortish hackle forward and tie off. now the head another dubbing ball. this ball is to help the forward ostrich/emu to stand up and out. I then use spey hackle and or a single sided marabou feather then a good hank of fur. over that another schlappen feather wrapped 2-3 times a couple of accent euro hackle feathers tied in long. now some chain eyes cover with a good thick head of fur and or dubbing and BAM! fish on!

Sorry if I'm harshin your groove piker didn't mean to , To me intruders are great becasue the look big without actually being dense. and heck once you figure them out they really are pretty simple. dont get me wrong you can make them quite complicated but I just dont think that Ed Ward or the other steelheaders had that in mind when they invented the fly. Here's a simplified diagram I scribbled out to show the anatomy of an intruder

post-12017-0-43757800-1356310386_thumb.jpg

Craft fur intruder is pretty neat, as are all the flies on this page for steelies

http://steelheadalleyflytying.blogspot.ca/search/label/Senyo%27s%20Craft%20Fur%20Intruder

Also i like some of this guys 'intruders'

http://www.upstreamadventures.com/toddflies.php

Still not sure what i am doing, but it will be something that works B) Maybe a fancy spey truder thingy.

Craft fur intruder is pretty neat, as are all the flies on this page for steelies

http://steelheadalle...0Fur%20Intruder[/quote

Senyo's craft fur 'truder really does show how simple and quick they can be tied. As for those BC 'truders? Just amazing! nice find!

Senyo's craft fur 'truder really does show how simple and quick they can be tied. As for those BC 'truders? Just amazing! nice find!

There are heaps of variations and interesting adaptations of the 'intruder style'...One of my favourite video's appeared right here at Hatches Magazine. Was 'Tie an Intruder in under 2 minutes'. They removed the video tho, damnnnnn!

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2010/11/24/want-to-tie-an-intruder-in-under-2-minutes/?utm_source=FTFGuest&utm_medium=web&utm_content=post

Hate that when you bookmark a video or link and it disappears.