Fly Tying
eastern fly

2013 Intruder Swap

One and a half hours a fly for an intruder? WOH! No offense but what you been smokin Willis? I guess if you really were painstaking about how you placed your materials on the shank it might take you tha amount of time. But they really aren't that complicated.

I agree, I thought I was missing some steps or something major but I think some of the atricles were including time for heating, straightening the hook, snipping and filing the cut end smooth. This is the first time I have looked at this sort of style so didn't want to be missing some crucial step.

@Jam, good links to some flies there.

Senyo's craft fur 'truder really does show how simple and quick they can be tied. As for those BC 'truders? Just amazing! nice find!

There are heaps of variations and interesting adaptations of the 'intruder style'...One of my favourite video's appeared right here at Hatches Magazine. Was 'Tie an Intruder in under 2 minutes'. They removed the video tho, damnnnnn!

http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2010/11/24/want-to-tie-an-intruder-in-under-2-minutes/?utm_source=FTFGuest&utm_medium=web&utm_content=post

Hate that when you bookmark a video or link and it disappears.

Jam' thats a Scott Howell video. Every website I found linking to one has a broken link. I think when he started releasing DVD's he took down all his videos.

One and a half hours a fly for an intruder? WOH! No offense but what you been smokin Willis? I guess if you really were painstaking about how you placed your materials on the shank it might take you tha amount of time. But they really aren't that complicated.

I agree, I thought I was missing some steps or something major but I think some of the atricles were including time for heating, straightening the hook, snipping and filing the cut end smooth. This is the first time I have looked at this sort of style so didn't want to be missing some crucial step.

@Jam, good links to some flies there.

I prefer wadington shanks or Senyo's articulated shanks through Flymen fishing company for my intruders, the wadington shanks are heavier than a nipped hook so i don't HAVE to use chain eyes. I usually just soak the fly to load the fur/wool and start swingin. You know I think I might try an articulated intruder! Yah, that dog'll hunt fer sure. and I'm thinkin probably blue and black with a touch of purple, hmmmmcool.gif, I guess ya'll will see 'em when you see 'em

a little light reading about intruders

Options and Tying Hints

A. Ostrich herl can be replaced with similar materials such as Rhea herl and Peacock herl.

B. Feelers and wings may also have a few strands of flash material such as Krystal Flash or Flashabou.

C. The working thread and finishing thread may be the same as is appropriate for the materials used.

D. The chenille is preferably synthetic without a cotton core so as to limit water absorption and the consequent increased weight during the cast.

E. Generally those Intruders tied without weighted eyes swim in a more horizontal plane and exhibit more movement of the fly. If eyes are desired the use of plastic eyes especially Dolls eyes (if you can get over the Black Bass Lure connotation are a great choice).

F. The wings can effectively comprise long thin saddle hackle feathers in place of, or in addition to, the Ostrich herl.

G. The rooster saddle hackle of the front hackle may be substituted for with hen cape or saddle hackle, duck or goose body feathers and the like.

H. The throat hackle may also comprise dyed guinea body feathers , water fowl body feathers such as Merganser and Teal for example, Schlappen, hen tail, and the like. Its function is to provide a bit of color, and movement through the broken color pattern.

I. The front butt may also be comprised of Elk hair, synthetic chenille, or synthetic yarn and the like as long as it creates a ball to help hold the wings away from the body during fishing.

J. Some like to make the body out of chenille, synthetic yarn, or dubbing (with or without a palmered hackle) in place of the flat woven braid. However, one of the design features and most effective functions of the Intruder is that is sinks quickly and deeply. Adding bulk and surface area only retards these desired functions. Where you want to fish this style of fly in shallow and/or slow water these additions may be a benefit.

K. Where a chenille, yarn or dubbed body is used the front butt may not be necessary depending on the diameter of the body.

L. Finally, anyone that thinks an Intruder is a good looking fly has no business in the fashion industry ;^)

© 2010 Bruce E. Harang

I been kicking around the question of eyes do you guys want them with or without?

as per the list posted earlier:

E. Generally those Intruders tied without weighted eyes swim in a more horizontal plane and exhibit more movement of the fly. If eyes are desired the use of plastic eyes especially Dolls eyes

I'm going to use FTD's fisch eyes or maybe mini doll eyes or maybe jungle cock, or perhaps nothin,

I been kicking around the question of eyes do you guys want them with or without?

Just my pref is if no eyes, a strip or two of leadfree wire on underside of shank or big wing to make sure she swings pretty. I guess if you tie in the round it doesn't matter.

Dunno if i am doing JC and leadwire or Small Tungsten dumbells yet. Will use some of those fancy colour octopus hooks i see around at the moment, crazy sharp things. Will be a design that has been successful on the Campbell River B.C for Steelhead.

Looks good Paul. I am tying on SS tube so should have enough weight to swim on a sinktip line with #7 rods. But I received some fluro lime tungsten eyes that might go on?

Kevin, are you still looking at March 2nd for receiving these?