Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SCOwens

What to do, what to do??

..... with this beautiful Hen Saddle Patch, any ideas? Give me a good one, I will tie it and post it

20121221_224059.jpg

Matuka style wings spring to mind. That and wonder wing style crab claws (fold some of the fibres back tie in and clip off the tip to give a claw).

Either that or send it to me and I'll wind them around the heads of salmon flies for you.

Cheers,

C.

Yeah, look sweet on some salmon fly heads. Steely hackled wets? Looks a lovely dye job. Once you start playing they will tie themselves.

Ben posted some fine examples of "flatwing" tarpon flies recently, and that was my first thought when I looked at your picture. I'd bet they'd work on warmwater species as well. Boy, that's a beautiful saddle. Just what I need - one more item to drool over.

All good ideas no doubt. Another is if you come down here for Mardi Gras, you can put a string through it and wear it as an Olive leaf to cover your front; looks like it has the right shape. Just a thought.

Kirk

All good ideas no doubt. Another is if you come down here for Mardi Gras, you can put a string through it and wear it as an Olive leaf to cover your front; looks like it has the right shape. Just a thought.

Kirk

Heck, why wait for Mardi Gras? Looks to me like it would be perfect for going out dancing on Saturday nights. I'll bet Ben already has a drawer full.

Kirk

Heck, why wait for Mardi Gras? Looks to me like it would be perfect for going out dancing on Saturday nights. I'll bet Ben already has a drawer full.

Wrong time of year, no? I think the cold weather would almost make the need for covering a moot point.

Kirk

Darn right I do! I love me some soft hackle! Flat wing tarpon flies simon. Try it. With those colors they would be awesome.

See my Flatwing Tarpon flies.

Mel

Capt. Mel! Ive watched your video several times when I was tying them. It was great. I just cant find good hackle for them!

Thanks everyone I slacked on the forum for a couple of days my plan on purchase were crab claws. Might tie a few tarpon wings. Ben that is a small patch a lot of feathers though only $5 sure they will mail if you want one just yell

See my Flatwing Tarpon flies.

Mel

Capt. Mel! Ive watched your video several times when I was tying them. It was great. I just cant find good hackle for them!

Ditto that - great video and gorgeous flies.