Fly Tying
billyzj

poppers

im new to this forum and not sure im in the right spot,im looking for a good beginer kit for tying poppers for bass,bluegills,does any body have any good suggestions,any help would be appreciated

Billy, welcome to the site.

What kind of poppers are you talking about? If you want spun deer hair poppers, there are plenty of Step-By-Step (SBS) tutorials both here and on You-Tube.

For foam body poppers, I've got a very simple SBS on the forum specifically for tutorials. It uses flip-flop foam and is very inexpensive. Again, there are SBSs for foam body poppers here and on You-Tube.

Cork body poppers and pre-formed foam body poppers do come in kits ... I've seen some at my local fly shop here in Central Florida. Look online for Orlando Outfitters or any other fly shop for kits.

Good luck.

Billy, welcome to the site.

What kind of poppers are you talking about? If you want spun deer hair poppers, there are plenty of Step-By-Step (SBS) tutorials both here and on You-Tube.

For foam body poppers, I've got a very simple SBS on the forum specifically for tutorials. It uses flip-flop foam and is very inexpensive. Again, there are SBSs for foam body poppers here and on You-Tube.

Cork body poppers and pre-formed foam body poppers do come in kits ... I've seen some at my local fly shop here in Central Florida. Look online for Orlando Outfitters or any other fly shop for kits.

Good luck.

thanks,just looking for full kits,ive searched for some kits but always turn up with reg flys,i was looking for foam popperes,divers and frogs beginner kits,there aint many shops that carry stuff like that around here,plus id love to learn how to make my own,i love using frogs with my reg fishing and i have a couple for fly fishing just dont wanna use them cause i cant find them here any more

Search youtube for user KirkDiet. Great how to popper videos from making to painting and finishing. He is also a member on here.

ill check it out thanks

Billyzj, check out Rainy's Flies, and Wapsi. Both are manufacturers, & both have a variety of bodies for poppers.

I don't think you can order directly from them, at least not from Wapsi, as they only sell to shops, but the product

listings on their websites will give you a good idea about what is available. Then you can check the dealer listings for a retail supplier

or Google the product names. Either way should give you plenty of options.

Billyzj, check out Rainy's Flies, and Wapsi. Both are manufacturers, & both have a variety of bodies for poppers.

I don't think you can order directly from them, at least not from Wapsi, as they only sell to shops, but the product

listings on their websites will give you a good idea about what is available. Then you can check the dealer listings for a retail supplier

or Google the product names. Either way should give you plenty of options.

thanks for the response everyboy finally got some ideas off of youtube now i just gotta get some stuff to make em,hopefully it'll be soon

Functional poppers don't have to be pretty.

The simple way is flip flop foam and hollow punches (from Harbor Freight) that will create popper bodies in several sizes. Simple cylinders.

Heat a bodkin or needle and make a hole in the cylinder. Wrap thread on your hook shaft, put on a drop of CA glue, and slid on the cylinder.

Dress the tail with rubber or silicone legs, maribou, etc.

Just be careful when you put on the head that you don't cover up the hook gap.

If you want a kit, I think the WAPSI Perfect Popper kits are the best. They come with the heads and kink shank hooks from tiny #12 bream bugs up through Bass bug size and Pencil Poppers to good all-around sizes in between.

For do-it-yourself bugs, foam either soft or hard like I demonstrate in my "Perch Float Popper" videos are hard to beat. Then of course, you can always go with balsa or bottle stopper corks.

Remember, the hooks do not have to be kink shank to stay glued in. If you use epoxy or CA glue, the hooks will hold fine. The Gamakatsu B10s and Mustad or Tiemco equivalent are really good popper hooks as are the Mustad 3366 or 34007.

Good Luck,

Kirk

If you want a kit, I think the WAPSI Perfect Popper kits are the best. They come with the heads and kink shank hooks from tiny #12 bream bugs up through Bass bug size and Pencil Poppers to good all-around sizes in between.

For do-it-yourself bugs, foam either soft or hard like I demonstrate in my "Perch Float Popper" videos are hard to beat. Then of course, you can always go with balsa or bottle stopper corks.

Remember, the hooks do not have to be kink shank to stay glued in. If you use epoxy or CA glue, the hooks will hold fine. The Gamakatsu B10s and Mustad or Tiemco equivalent are really good popper hooks as are the Mustad 3366 or 34007.

Good Luck,

Kirk

when i watched some videos off you tube i was going to start with the balsa wood,and then try some foam too,hopefully ill get a vise soon to start on this before spring comes around

There are several fellas on this forum that ties beautiful poppers. Some approach works of art. I started flytying by making small poppers for Bluegill. I used use 1/4" dia cork cylinders to make the bodies but I don't think the cork cylinders are available any longer which is too bad. They were very durable and I don't remember ever breaking one though I used to lose a lot of them to the trees. I used size 10 or 12 kink shank hooks and epoxied the bodies to the hook after cutting a slot in the cork. I then tied a tail of kip or calf tail and wound a small hackle on after painting the body. I quit painting eyes and never did the small ones with weed guards. I have recently used a normal paper hole punch (which is 1/4")to punch to cut small disks out of 2mm craft foam and used CA to glue 3 of them together to form a small cylinder to make a body and it seems to work quite well. I haven't yet had a chance to check out how durable they are but I think they will work out great. They are not fancy but I guarantee they will catch fish including some bass. Some of the fellas suggested I add some rubber legs which I have but I have not tested them out yet. I know they will catch without legs and supposedly they will work better with legs. I will find out next summer. I am now looking for a hole punch in 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2" dia. to make some larger poppers. Have fun with it and it is a good way to get started. Any color will work well as long as it is Yellowbiggrin.png

There are several fellas on this forum that ties beautiful poppers. Some approach works of art. I started flytying by making small poppers for Bluegill. I used use 1/4" dia cork cylinders to make the bodies but I don't think the cork cylinders are available any longer which is too bad. They were very durable and I don't remember ever breaking one though I used to lose a lot of them to the trees. I used size 10 or 12 kink shank hooks and epoxied the bodies to the hook after cutting a slot in the cork. I then tied a tail of kip or calf tail and wound a small hackle on after painting the body. I quit painting eyes and never did the small ones with weed guards. I have recently used a normal paper hole punch (which is 1/4")to punch to cut small disks out of 2mm craft foam and used CA to glue 3 of them together to form a small cylinder to make a body and it seems to work quite well. I haven't yet had a chance to check out how durable they are but I think they will work out great. They are not fancy but I guarantee they will catch fish including some bass. Some of the fellas suggested I add some rubber legs which I have but I have not tested them out yet. I know they will catch without legs and supposedly they will work better with legs. I will find out next summer. I am now looking for a hole punch in 3/8, 7/16, and 1/2" dia. to make some larger poppers. Have fun with it and it is a good way to get started. Any color will work well as long as it is Yellowbiggrin.png

i bought a couple a couple years ago that had legs they didnt stay on long with all the fish i caught, i just kept using them anyways still caught a ton of bass,im excited too start making them