Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
onceahoosier

Lake Davis Fly Box

I've been working on a box to use for Lake Davis in Northern California, a great trout lake north of Tahoe I like to fish a few times a year. Here's a sample of the contents, thought you might be interested in seeing:

post-24351-0-10767000-1357254475_thumb.jpgpost-24351-0-05065800-1357254488_thumb.jpgpost-24351-0-86351800-1357254512_thumb.jpgpost-24351-0-58782100-1357254530_thumb.jpgpost-24351-0-57325000-1357254553_thumb.jpgpost-24351-0-92795800-1357254623_thumb.jpg

Tom

I fish Frenchman Res alot, just east of Davis and am definitely going to tie up some of those damsels!!!

Nice, I really like the caddis pupas.

How do you fish the lake? If you want to try something different then you could troy our traditional loch style. Drifting boat, fish over the front (Downwind side) with a long rod and floating line. Usually 3 flies but 2 to 4 is common. The flies work together as a team. You'll often get a fish slash at the top fly then take one of the others on the way back. If you decide to have a go at this you'll need some bushy flies to pull through the surface.

Several years ago some friends tried this on Hebjen Lake. Between them they had 50+ fish in half a day. recommendmend giving it a go. Great sport.

Cheers,

C.

Nice, I really like the caddis pupas.

How do you fish the lake? If you want to try something different then you could troy our traditional loch style. Drifting boat, fish over the front (Downwind side) with a long rod and floating line. Usually 3 flies but 2 to 4 is common. The flies work together as a team. You'll often get a fish slash at the top fly then take one of the others on the way back. If you decide to have a go at this you'll need some bushy flies to pull through the surface.

Several years ago some friends tried this on Hebjen Lake. Between them they had 50+ fish in half a day. recommendmend giving it a go. Great sport.

Cheers,

C.

I've used a couple of techniques on Davis, nothing very sophisticated. I usually fish the lake after ice out in April/May, and again in Oct/Nov. Most common is pulling (or trolling in my float tube) wooly buggers or damsels on an intermediate or type 2 sinker in shallow water (3-10'), and fishing a couple of nymphs (typically a blood midge and callebaetis or other nymph pattern) under an indicator in shallow water. The closest to "Loch style" I've used is to drift across the lake in my 10' boat with the wind/ current and letting the drift move the flies (nymph's, buggers, or the "wiggle tails"), usually using a type 2 sinker. This has worked at times. Your loch's in the UK are very deep, correct? How deep do you fish with the Loch style? Davis is a pretty shallow lake and the fly fishing is best in the spring/ fall when move in close to shore.

Tom

Some of the lochs are very deep and others are very shallow! Most of the time we drift parallel to the shore and cast into the shallow shoreline retrieving toward the boat. The very deep water tends to be unproductive, unless you have arctic char in a water or the bigger Ferox Trout will be trolled for in deeper water. Areas of rocky shoreline with a drop off into deeper water close by with a depth of 1 - 3 ft over the rocks has always proved good for me. And if you are looking for pike, look for the drop offs and often that's where they are.