Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
buckybrews

Picking the right thread

Hey everyone this is my first post and I was wondering about how to pick the right thread for tying. I heard a podcast from Orvis awhile ago and can't seem to find it. If anyone could clarify the numbers on the spool and what they mean I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Here's a couple of web sites I found helpful when I first started tying:

http://frontrangeanglers.com/newsletter/feb05/choosingthread.htm
http://www.flytyingworld.com/classroom/95/1170-Threads.html

hope they be of some help to you. I'm sure there are many others too. Also try google "fly tying threads charts and usage" may get you allot of info too.

OOPS ... guess flytire posted about the same moment I did.

Mike

Those links say it all pretty much. As far as what the numbers on spools I think this line from the frontrangeanglers link sums it up. 'The problem is that this "zero" measurement system doesn't relate to any practical form of measurement and one company's 6/0 may be smaller than another's 8/0. A more accurate measurement of both thread diameter and breaking strength is denier.'

A lot of advice will say that when you first start tying, a larger diameter thread helps with the problems of applying too much pressure and hook coverage. But too large a thread, say a 3/0 is never going to look right when you compare your size 12 fly to the one in the picture. I would say choose one brand of tying thread and work through some of their sizes. Many many people tie with an 8/0 thread for nearly all of their tying.

'A more accurate measurement of both thread diameter and breaking strength is denier.'

I know you are quoting someone else, Piker20, but I gotta say that this was one of the more misguided efforts to impose standardization that I have ever seen. Denier is defined as the mass in grams per 9,000 meters (yeah, that's a real intiutive bit of information) and it turns out knowing that number really does not get you any closer to understanding what you really want to know about the thread, i.e. diameter and breaking strength. There is a reason why most of the thread companies started putting aughts back on the spools, and some have dropped denier altogether.

That being said, I think the rest of the advice the OP has received is spot on. Start with one company, get familiar with their products, move on or not when you get more experience. You will want to start with a heavier thread when you first start out, and it will take you a time to outgrow it, so if we are talking about trout flies, 6/0 from any of the major manufacturers is a good starting point.

i use to always tie with a 6 or 8/0 thread, now im leaning torwards a 70-140 denier. UTC 70-140 are my favorites right now. and you can go up to a 210 for larger flies..they all lay nice and work well for thread bodies.

Hi buckybrews, not sure where you are located, but in the UK the most common thread is UNI-Thread. It is mainly used in 6/0 and 8/0. When I started out I assumed that thicker thread would be easier to tie with and opted for 6/0. It wasn't until I bought a spool of 8/0 by accident that I discovered that it was actually better for me. It is not particularly easy to snap but ties a much neater fly in my opinion. I use it for small trout flies up to number 16 as well as large salmon flies/tubes and it does the job well. I have never found the need to use a thicker thread. If tying smaller than number 16 then I use Gordon Griffths Sheer which is 14/0.

If you watch Davie McPhail's excellent videos on you tube, you will notice that he uses 8/0 UNI-Thread more often than not. If it's good enough for him..........

whatfly...

AMEN! Denier is actually no better than the historic 'ought' system, which was silk diamerer based. Ironically, Denier is also based on silk! The diameter of a single strand of silk as said to be approximately 1 denier, and 9,000 meters typically weighs about 1 gram. Hence, Denier is, as you pointed out, the weight, in grams, of 9,000 meters of the material (9,000M of silk weighs 1 gram=Denier of 1). Thus, how is the Denier system any better than what has been used? We still do not know what the diameter is in routinely accepted linear measurement units; e.g., angstoms, microns, millimeters, etc.

None of this has anything to do with Tensile Strength!

whatfly...

AMEN! Denier is actually no better than the historic 'ought' system

Amen and Hallelujah! Neither system is worth anything unless you are comparing the same material in different forms (i.e. the ratio of one manufacturers 8/0 to 6/0 will not be the same as another, but neither will the denier number). I would never try and defend the ought system, but denier just makes for more confusion. You have to find the thread that works for you and use it.

Well thamks everyone, I have some 8/0 thread and I picked up some marked 70 which I'm assuming is pretty small thread, I'll post some ties later on today and post up

In simplest terms, I treat thread like I do fishing line/tippet; I use the smallest that I can in order to get the job done, brands vary but names do carry weight, and the input of experienced users will get me about 70% of the way there. The other 30% of the decision will come from use.

Also like line, aside from very, very specific applications, there is no "right" thread. I could tie a certain pattern with one thread, refusing to use any other, while another guy may use another thread with similar results.

Choose a good brand, start with the accepted system of ranking size (because you are just starting out and this will save some time), pick a good color for the fly, and start tying. You will eventually settle on what gives you the best results.

I love it more than the 8/0, even though I've read that the lighter thread was more prone to breaking, I'm not finding this true. It seems to handle smoother than the 8/0