Fly Tying
heavynets

Is stainless really necessary ?

I have fised Belieze and Mexico, I also use a lot of 3366 for salmon in Alaska. I think they would be great for a short trip on Bonefish. I would not use them for Tarpon,Permit or Snook. The problem with plated hooks are they need sharpening and then they rust. I order Mustad 34007 from Hook and Hackle they have the best prices on stainless mustad but you need to shapren them and crimp the barb down.

It's a dirty little secret, but people used to fly fish in salt water with nothing more than bronze Mustad hooks dressed with feathers and fur, fiberglass rods, and Pflueger Medalist reels. My dad caught lots of bluefish and stripers flyfishing back in the 60's and 70's long before the gear we have today was available. I've seen video from the 70's of guys catching tarpon with Medalist reels. Is the gear we have today better? Absolutely. Is it necessary? I suppose that depends upon the individual.

Having said that, seeing as the fish you're targeting are all hard-mouthed, bronze hooks may not be your best choice.

I use the Eagle Claw plated hooks as well, but be warned they have an offset. If you want a straight hook you have to straighten it in your vise (but not hard to do). I get my at WalMart and use the 66, 67 and 85. They are also cheaper than the Mustad 34011 or 34007 (which are the equivalent stainless fly hooks). And don't hold your breath trying to find 34011s.

Coach....I agree that the plated hooks from WalMart work fine and the price is much better than the Mustad stainless. I do prefer to use the stainless but most of my tying in the last couple of years has been on the plated Eagle Claws. It is a pain to straighen the offset. I am not sure it is absolutely required but I do it anyway. The Billy Pate hooks are about the same price as the Walmart hooks excluding shipping and I would like to try them. I am not a big fan of Walmart and shop elsewhere when I can. Here in middle TN the same hook in Bronze only is available and I use them for a lot of my fresh water tying though #6 is the smallest that is sold locally. I have only found the shiney plated ones.which is nickel, in FL. They are sharp out of the box and I normally do no sharpen them to retard any rusting problems.

I use the Eagle Claw plated hooks as well, but be warned they have an offset. If you want a straight hook you have to straighten it in your vise (but not hard to do). I get my at WalMart and use the 66, 67 and 85. They are also cheaper than the Mustad 34011 or 34007 (which are the equivalent stainless fly hooks). And don't hold your breath trying to find 34011s.

I doubt the 34011 and the other Mustad stainless hooks will be available anywhere in the not-too-distant future. Mustad appears to be replacing their old lines with their newer composite steel models. They've already discontinued the 34007 in larger sizes. Good riddance. Their newer hooks are vastly superior to stainless steel in every way I can think of.

Peterjay.....When I first made the jump into salt flies around 1970 I found the stainless hooks near impossible to find. I did finally find a source though I have since forgotten. Because of this I still feel that stainless is special I guess. I have no doubt that that the new material is better but I still have a warm place for the old stuff.

Out of my ignorance what is the "new" material?

Ditz, Mustad calls their new steel, "Z Steel" which is a hi carbon alloy that is supposed to be more corrosion resistant than stainless, and much harder & stronger. Meaning it holds it's sharpness far better.

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/na/products.php?id=10

Ditz, my main problem with stainless is that I've done most of my fishing in New England, where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a rock. Fishing with stainless means either constantly changing flies or sharpening hooks. The stuff's just too soft to hold a point under those conditions. (circle hooks are an exception, since the point is protected) Mustad's new Z-steel hooks are needle-sharp right out of the box and they stay that way a lot longer than the old ones did. Of course, now I'm living where there aren't any rocks - perfect timing, as usual.

when i was in california, i cought many salt water fish on fresh water tackle, ive landed tuna,barracuda,kelp bass, it was usually my line that gave out.

Yes it is necessary! Plus, you are going on a trip and don't want to have some cheap ass deformed, improperly hardened, piece of garbage fail. The one thing i enjoy about salt water is you almost always catch something. Also, there are a lot of surprise fish that you ate not targeting that just show up.

What I don't like about it is that besides being good for athletes foot and jock itch, there is not a lot of good that can happen in it:). I have seen a grown man with all that Special Forces testosterone B.S. reduced to a whimpering child from stepping on a stingray. All the tropical waters are full of things you don't want to mess with so listen to your guide.

Years ago I was about 250 kilometers south of Rio,in Brazil and working in a secluded Navy ship yard. I decided to go fishing, because that is all chef had to cook. I was having a blast until some locals spotted me and dragged me out. It took awhile but I finally figured out they were trying to help me because while everyone else was wading and fishing there, I was not accustom to what was in the water. Behind us was the local hospital discharging right into the water. I guess it made for good fishing:)

I was so happy when the mule died that would bring fresh vegetables each day. It was the first meat we had in a month. Be safe.

Of course, now I'm living where there aren't any rocks - perfect timing, as usual.

Man, I know that feeling. ....Reels, Rods, Lines, tying materials and tying information that is available today is awsome. Price not withstanding, it is a great time to FF.

Of course, now I'm living where there aren't any rocks - perfect timing, as usual.

Man, I know that feeling. ....Reels, Rods, Lines, tying materials and tying information that is available today is awsome. Price not withstanding, it is a great time to FF.

Amen to that - we may not be living in the golden age of fishing, but as far as tying materials and gear goes, there's never been anything like it.

I'd go completely the other way, came across Tiemco 811S for saltwater flies and i do believe now these are some of the best hooks you could buy. Not cheap at all, at around $1 each, so so sharp! I think i really like them! Cost doesn't bother me, its like buying a bottle of wine. Anyone else tried?

http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/p/s/viewitem.aspx?pid=ZHO-UMP-SALT-811