Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fish4Him

Just Starting Out

I have just started tying flies in the last month. I want to get to the point where i can tie flies and use them to catch fish. I do mostly trout fishing. I have tied about 10 flies already and I love doing it! I was just going to ask for advice and what materials to use for good trout flies. For example, what size thread, hooks, beads, etc. Thank you for your time!!

Landon

Hi Landon,

If you are looking for flies that will catch you fish quick, I would start by tying midges. They require very few materials, and are extremely easy to tie. I have caught countless fish on the zebra midge.

A few of my other favorites include the pheasant tail nymph, and the hares ear nymph. These flies are guaranteed to catch trout anywhere, almost any time. They are still two of my go to flies when searching for fish. They also don't require much as far as materials go, and there are many substitutes that could be used. I would recommend you pick up some lead wire, or beads to use as weight if you don't have any, that is a must.

Whatever you do, tie a lot. Sit down and tie a dozen of the same fly, and then tie a dozen more. You will get very good, very quickly this way.

Have fun, and welcome to the forum!!!

Thank you very much for the tips! I have a feeling this forum and the people on here are going to help me out alot as i become a better fly tyer!!

The flies you should tie depend on where you fish. Where I am, midges are a bust but in tail waters they are a huge biomass. On the Madison River in Montana, caddis is where it is at.

So investigate your waters and then tie what works there.

Look here for ideas:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=69570

The flies you should tie depend on where you fish. Where I am, midges are a bust but in tail waters they are a huge biomass. On the Madison River in Montana, caddis is where it is at.

So investigate your waters and then tie what works there.

Look here for ideas:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=69570

SilverCreek Hit the nail on the head althoe I tie flies that don't work here in Pa just for fun .I tie flies that I know will work on the Creeks and rivers here in NE Pa. Find out what the fish are feeding on in your area and tie that fly.

Greetings all,

I am new to your forums and eager to pick brains to improve. I have been flying and tying for about four years now. In fact I started tying flies before I cast. My question is: Which do you prefer simple and economical or complicated and more expensive? Example of simple would be a zebra midge. I know some of you are going to answer with the depends on what you are fishing for answer. This is just to see if I am the only one that tries to keep my costly addiction to a minimum or not.

Greetings all,

I am new to your forums and eager to pick brains to improve. I have been flying and tying for about four years now. In fact I started tying flies before I cast. My question is: Which do you prefer simple and economical or complicated and more expensive? Example of simple would be a zebra midge. I know some of you are going to answer with the depends on what you are fishing for answer. This is just to see if I am the only one that tries to keep my costly addiction to a minimum or not.

I don't think in terms of the cost of the materials. For me, I only have a certain amount of time tie flies. So in my economy, time is the primary "cost" to me.

I need to tie flies that are the most effective for me. If I find a fly that is more effective, and I have to buy materials to tie it, I buy the materials. Otherwise I waste time tying a less effecitve fly and waste time fishing a less effective fly.

It may be different in your economy. In my opinion to tie less than what you consider to be the best pattern you are able to tie is faulty logic.

Greetings all,

I don't think in terms of the cost of the materials. For me, I only have a certain amount of time tie flies. So in my economy, time is the primary "cost" to me.

I need to tie flies that are the most effective for me. If I find a fly that is more effective, and I have to buy materials to tie it, I buy the materials. Otherwise I waste time tying a less effecitve fly and waste time fishing a less effective fly.

It may be different in your economy. In my opinion to tie less than what you consider to be the best pattern you are able to tie is faulty logic.

Well said.