Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
calif_ quake

fly clamp question

I am new to the site and wanted input on what users think of the Orvis edition HMH spartan vise. I have experience with a table clamp style and wonder if that is better than a pedastal. I worry that a pedastal will not be secure enough. I also am not sure if this is a roating vise.

I put a lot of tension on the thread when I am tying ... but I've tied on my weighted base just fine. I do prefer the clamp, though, because it allows for height adjustments to the vice.

Spartan Vise

The Spartan is the best value in a precision-machined vise today. It gives you all the performance features you'll ever need, including full rotary action and adjustable head angle, and our incredibly easy and versatile interchangeable jaw system. The Spartan's sleek design gives you a beautiful vise with excellent access to the jaw tip, and an ample and comfortable tying platform for those long tying sessions.

The paragraph above is from the HMH web site. The Spartan is a fully rotational vise. It is a very good vise, and should last a lifetime. I have tied on many different vises (both clamp and pedestal style. The c clamp will allow for height adjustments, and if it fits your table or desk top very secure. You may find that there are some table or desk edges that are rounded or too thick (most picnic tables are) to mount a c clamp vise. That will make it hard to tie in campgrounds while on a fishing trip (if you do that sort of thing.)

Most pedestal bases are stable enough for most tying. Some tying operations (like spinning deer hair,) do require that you apply quite a bit of tension to the thread and hook. If you do this at the proper angle, you should have no problems with the pedestal vises. The pedestal vise can be used on any flat surface, so it is quite easy to move around and set up anywhere.

You may find that there are some table or desk edges that are rounded or too thick (most picnic tables are) to mount a c clamp vise. That will make it hard to tie in campgrounds while on a fishing trip (if you do that sort of thing.)

What utyer said is very true; however, I over came this problem by attaching my Regal C-clamp vise to one corner of a piece of 1" X 12" X 15" white pine. I have been using it this way for about 15 years now, and it has never slipped, tipped over, or even moved during the tying of even the larger deer hair bass bugs (2/0). It is easy enough to fit just such a board into the vehicle to take to the water, if you are inclined to tie 'water-side'.

Be careful about what you call a "rotary". My Regal Medallion is a rotary, meaning you can rotate it 360 deg, but a "full" rotary vise can rotate around the axis of the hook, allowing you to turn the hook and wind material/thread onto the hook while you hold the material at one spot. (That's probably as clear as mud!)

I don't believe (and I may be wrong, like I was once in 1957) that HMH makes a full rotary vise. I think they only make fixed (doesn't rotate at all) and rotary vises. I've had all types - fixed, rotary, and full rotary. It is strictly a matter of personal preference.

As far as clamp/base, I have almost always used a clamp. I tried a base once, but found it wasn't heavy enough. It was a generic base I picked up at a big box store. I assume if I wanted to spend the money, the base that regal sells for their vises would be fine.

As said before, with a clamp, you have some height adjustment. Perchjerker's solution is a good one. I know a couple of tiers that clamp a board to their table and the vise to the board just to get the vise away from the table.

I always use a pedestal because some fly tying shows don't have a table edge in the right shape or location.

The comments on a full or "true" rotary versus a simple rotary are correct. Look for a true rotary whenever possible.

There's a "clamp vs pedestal" poll on the first page of the main board. On it, you'll find links to two earlier threads on the subject. You'll find 100+ posts between them on the subject.

Coach Bob...

That is another place where my white pine board solves a problem.

I always use a pedestal because some fly tying shows don't have a table edge in the right shape or location.

I over came this problem by attaching my Regal C-clamp vise to one corner of a piece of 1" X 12" X 15" white pine. I have been using it this way for about 15 years now, and it has never slipped, tipped over, or even moved during the tying of even the larger deer hair bass bugs (2/0). It is easy enough to fit just such a board into the vehicle to take to the water, if you are inclined to tie 'water-side'.

The stability depends on the weight AND the area (length and width) of the base. The board works well cuz it has a big footprint. I'm not real clear on how you have the vise mounted to the board. Could you explain, or maybe post a picture? I have a Regal, also, on a clamp at home. But I also teach fly tying to Boy Scouts, and could use a decent base for setting up when the table furnished isn't compatible with my clamp.

Another way to solve the clamp issue is to get one of the adjustable wood clamps and clamp your pedistal and or your large pine board to the table you are working on. Had to do this once when the table i had access to was too tall to tie at comfortably. I clamped my regal to a board and clamped that under the tabletop.

CC...

Yep! That is precisely why the board is as big as it is. It needs no additional weight of any kind on it to serve as 'ballast', though I do keep my home-made tool caddy on the back end, for convenience; as well as my 'profile board'.

Here's a photo.

Cheers!

post-8431-0-30082400-1358613626_thumb.jpg

For my Renzetti master vise, I bought both the pedestal with a short pedestal stem AND the clamp and a longer clamp stem. Truthfully, I have never used the clamp. If you have a quality heavy pedestal it will rarely move.

Another recommendation is lay rubber shelf liner on the table and put the pedestal on that. It will keep pedestal from slipping and after tying you just pick up the shelf line and shake the clipping off into the trash.

shelf-liner-345.jpg