Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tailwaters

Thin Fly Box

Does anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive, small (about 5"x4"), and thin fly box with foam slits? I would like to carry a box of midges and another box of baetis patterns. I do not like the thick boxes as they add too much bulk for my rain jacket. My fly patterns are small (a few size 16, mostly 18 and 20, but down to size 26 on some midges). Thank you.

Check out the boxes made by anglers image. They are very thin, probably the thinnest ones made by anyone. They are very good for midges and they make them in a few different sizes and have ones with the microslit foam and also offer boxes with magnetic backing. Both styles work well for midge boxes.

You could make some small boxes using the Altoids boxes that you find at C-stores. Eat the Altoids, and line the bottom of the box with glued in foam.

Inexpensive, and you can label the boxes for the type of flies.

Bill

I like these foam boxes. Get a couple of the large or medium size for your stock flies to carry in your vest and have a shirt pocket size for those times when you shed the vest or pack and want to go light. Hook a few hatch-matchers in the pocket size and you don't have to lug all that stuff.... wears you out. You can sit on the box and it won't break, plus it floats, its super lightweight, accommodates both hackled dry flies,nymphs, wets and streamers, and closes tight with magnets to keep critters out. Most come in different colored exterior so you can pick the box you want if you load the boxes with different patterns.

Morell-Foam-Fly-Boxes-With-Magnetic-Clos

they are nice but I have had to many flies back out of the foam. went back to slotted type of box or compartments.

here are a few I like, the meiho boxes work well with small flies.

post-624-0-44114000-1358553600_thumb.jpg post-624-0-78866500-1358553607_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-34022900-1358553610_thumb.jpg post-624-0-22399200-1358553613_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-91965500-1358553615_thumb.jpg post-624-0-00979900-1358553619_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-57659300-1358553622_thumb.jpg

These are distributed (or were last year) by Wapsi. they are really thin and they are called "Angler's Accessories" if my memory serves me well. Seems to fit the bill for what you are talking about.

post-33893-0-30662900-1358556012_thumb.jpg

Check out the boxes made by anglers image. They are very thin, probably the thinnest ones made by anyone. They are very good for midges and they make them in a few different sizes and have ones with the microslit foam and also offer boxes with magnetic backing. Both styles work well for midge boxes.

These are the thin boxes distributed by Anglers Image:

http://anglersimage.net/compiled/Page23.html

PT/TB

Altoids box and sticky back foam.

Works great and (if you consider the box a recycled item) practically nothing.