Fly Tying
dvs

Hook organization? Wondering how others deal with all these little pa

I expanded on an idea from some Tiemco hook packs using magnetic sheets. I found some magnetic sheets that can be printed on an inkjet printer and made some labels for my small hooks and then placed the labels in the compartment bottoms for each hook type. This labels and both keeps the hooks from moving around and easy to get at.

post-3778-0-04510100-1380166606_thumb.jpgpost-3778-0-74764400-1380166619_thumb.jpgpost-3778-0-49515000-1380166638_thumb.jpg

I agree with Curtis about the CraftMate Products (just google them). They have a nylon bag that comes with 6 of the smaller boxes; very compact. The beauty is that only 1 compartment can be open at a time which prevents dumping the whole box (been there/done that; not fun). They also make the larger ones. Here in Chicagoland, Michaels carries them.

thanks, Bob

I use these bead storage containers from Michael's, they screw together and stack. They hold a ton of hooks too. Also works well for dubbing.

hooks_zpsfef8bf7d.jpg

I used to keep them just like OP, labels and all... except I'd glue a layer of 1mm craft foam to the underside of the lid, which formed a "gasket" between sections, keeping hooks where they're supposed to be even in the event the box is shook up..

Nowadays I just keep them, eyes, beads, etc. all in their original bags (if they come in a bag) and keep them organized (thrown in by type) in some small stacked drawers.

A a set of office filing draws the ones about 4 inches deep. I keep them in the packaging until needed, which means no labels to reproduce. You have to remember though when possible I buy by the thousand. Small boxes like the ones shown are just too small for these quantities. I do have some plastic tubs I can use if the packaging is damaged. These just go in the drawers. I do divide the drawers up by hook type.

Cheers,

C.

I get thin sheets of magnets, the one that's sticky on one side, and cut it to fit the individual compartments of my hook containers. This works well for making sure things don't get jumbled together. I do this for small hooks - size 12 through 22.