Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ecfew

Hello from England

Hi everyone, I'm going salmon fishing this summer in Scotland. I am very interested to know if anyone has had much success using clousers or half and halfs to catch adlantic salmon? If yes I would love to know which types. Also if you had success catching sea trout with these patterns please report.

Great to be amongst like minded people

Ed

Hi Ed,

Not salmon, but only because I haven't tried! However, we do use small clouser type flies for sea trout on Loch Brora. Tied on standard size 10 wet fly hooks, with small bead chain eyes. (Ask your bank if they have a broken pen chain, they are ideal). Keep the materials soft. Rabbit is good. Thats our point fly of choise for sea trout on L. Brora.

Where are you going to be fishing?

Cheers,

C.

Hi C,

Thanks for that fantastic, ill be north of Ullapool, on a small river running through a lovely little estate. I've fished it for years but have spent the last two in belize and discovered saltwater fly fishing. With salt water fishing I also discovered a whole new batch of flys and curiosity of cause makes me interested in crossover. I will ofcourse fish with these flys anyway just to see ill let you know.

Thanks

Ed

Ed,

Belize sounds great. Tony who has the Fly Fishing Shop Stockport used to go a lot, and told me about it. He was considering buying land out there and building himself a place. Not somewhere I've been, maybe one day. However, What John Gierach said when someone told him "You should try salt water fly fishing, you wont want to bother with piddly little trout after that." He said, "That's really what I need, when I've finally found something I really love, something to come along and f**** it up".

Any way I hope you have a great trip. Not been over to the west coast fishing yet, maybe something to consider for this year.

Cheers,

C.

Hey C

Belize is the most amazing place if you go get intouch I can recommend the best couple of permit guides in souther belize. Having said that I don't want to f**k with your fresh water triumphs. The problem with fishing is often the best spots are just around the corner from where we live but we still travel stupid distance.

I've recently started flyfishing for pike a great alternative In the winter to trout and they inhabit the rivers and canals of where I'm from which trout don't!,,,

All the best

Ed