Fly Tying
Roofish

HMH Vises???

Maybe someone can help me? I have an HMH Spartan that won't hold a hook. I can't seem to tighten the adjustment knob far enough back to tightly engage the cam lever. The adjustment knob is backed out all the way to where it is barely sitting on the threads, when I engagethe cam lever it sometimes pops the adjustment knob off the threads and seizes.

Not really sure what is going on.

Make sure your jaws are fully threaded onto the drawbar. The further out the jaws sit on the drawbar, the further back your adjustment knob will need to travel rearwards on the collet threads to contact the cam lever. Disassembling the vise to visually verify that the jaws are able to fully thread onto the drawbar might be a good idea. For that matter, an occasional full cleaning, lubing and reassembly isn't a bad idea.

Maybe someone can help me? I have an HMH Spartan that won't hold a hook. I can't seem to tighten the adjustment knob far enough back to tightly engage the cam lever. The adjustment knob is backed out all the way to where it is barely sitting on the threads, when I engagethe cam lever it sometimes pops the adjustment knob off the threads and seizes.

Not really sure what is going on.

Make sure your jaws are fully threaded onto the drawbar. The further out the jaws sit on the drawbar, the further back your adjustment knob will need to travel rearwards on the collet threads to contact the cam lever. Disassembling the vise to visually verify that the jaws are able to fully thread onto the drawbar might be a good idea. For that matter, an occasional full cleaning, lubing and reassembly isn't a bad idea.

I think that must be it. I can't image this happening in any other situation on my HMH standard. When changing jaws I always fully loosen the adjustment knob and screw that jaws in all the way, then back off just enough to level them out. That ought to do the trick.

The jaws are as tight as they can be on the shaft. Looking closely I think the pin that holds the lever is bent so the lever is kind of rolling and not making solid contact with the adjustment knob. There seems to be way to much play in the lever. I also think I messed up the threads on the adjustment knob from this because when I loosen the knob it feels like the threads are grinding a bit.