Fly Tying
Sur3-Shot

Micheals supply list ?

As a beginner you might not be ready for these yet but:

Beadalon wire for articulated flies,

Artbin boxes for home made fly boxes for big flies.

Thin wire for dubbing brushes

They also have a good selection of wire that you can use for wire San Juan worm and Copper Johns.

Since you are starting out, I would try to decide what flies you want to tie, and get you supplies based on that, especially if you are on a limited budget. Buy what you need and then go from there.

Andrew

Wow surely not all of that came from Michael's did it? The michaels that's near me doesn't have anything like what you have there on the bed.

I went to Cabellas and bought 3 spools of ultra thread 70 UTC and the bucktail bag thats it everything else is Micheals

Dollar Stores have packages with 3-4 peacock feather in the pack. I purchased 3 packs just for "throw away flies", ones I wouldn't care too much if I lost to a tree monster or a squirrel fish. Lo and behold the peacock was better quality than the herl I had purchased specifically for tying flies.

Just an FYI, the same would be true if you bought peacock eyes from a flyshop. The strung herl is never as good quality as you get off the eye, and I'm finding that I can tie some patterns with one or two herls from an eye that would take 4-6 from a pack of strung herl. So in the end I don't think the strung herl makes much sense anymore.

Mike.

The dollar store. First time I have ever been in one and I come across packets of organza. Winging material that's looks so real. I bought all they had for about five bucks. Then got out my wing cutters and some burners and made a mess till I got it right. Where can you go for five bucks for entertainment like that?

I went to Cabellas and bought 3 spools of ultra thread 70 UTC and the bucktail bag thats it everything else is Micheals

Last time I checked you can't purchase rio tapered leaders and fly tying hooks at Michaels........