Fly Tying
dontheo

Dai-Riki Hooks

Has anyone had any quality issues with these hooks? They seem to be reasonably priced and usually that means you get what you pay for. Sorry if this has been beaten to death. I took some time off and have not beem following posts as close as I had in the past.

Thanks

The Don

They are not the greatest...I'd put them far below Tiemco and Dai Ichi. They bend, are inconsistent, have dinged up points, and Dan Bailey's (the producer/distributor) has massive quality control issues. The latest batch I got were brittle, had a very poor finish, and the #135's (scud hooks) were offset improperly. You can count on at least a couple in each pack to be without eyes or have other deformations. In short, they are crummy hooks, although I do use a couple of their styles. The scud hooks are usually good and the bigger bugger and nymph hooks are OK too. The saltwater hooks and smaller dry fly and nymph hooks are pretty much a waste of money. There are many better and few worse options on the market.

I ordered 100 assorted Dai-Riki streamer hooks off ebay and was not really impressed at all with the hooks. The larger streamer hooks were OK at best, but some of the smaller ones would get warped and deformed just from the pressure of thread when tying.

If you are looking for cheap hooks that are still high quality I would recommend trying out Green Caddis Outfitters, I have ordered 600+ hooks in assorted styles and they hold up just as well as the major brands I buy at the fly shops.

I've been using Dai-Riki hooks for years [20+ years] and have never had an issue with them. I think they are the best deal out there for hooks.

I use them all the time. The best prices are from www.bluequillangler.com.

I have used several styles in many sizes and probably had less than five bad hooks out of a thousand.

The hook gap is great for smaller ties.

No complaints here. I've not gone through nearly the quantity that some on this thread have but I've been using them more and more after becoming dissatisfied with some of the store brands and other lower priced options.

Have used one style (075, #8-18) for a few years with no complaints. They are a cheaper hook and do have slightly higher deformity rate than the premium manufacturers, but for the money I've never seen that as a insurmountable problem. Never had any fail on me. They have recently changed the finish, so I cannot speak to the merits of the latest batch.

Prosopium Love the avatar. I have two knuckleheads just like him/ her.

He is a knucklehead...but at least he will let me have a salmonfly nymph crawl around on him until I get the right pic, no matter how disgusted he clearly is with the situation.

I never go fishing without him!

-Cheers