Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

F4BFCE08-88A2-48E8-83FB-7E078E800030-222

Anyone fishing trout tried something like this?

Thanks

I fish a similar pattern which is a traditional prince in either red or chartreuse wire with rubber legs. I tie mine with smaller legs though. They are a good trout nymph.

A

Is that partridge for the tail and legs? I might be able to tie some up, hmmm

It's actually mallard flank feathers dyed yellow... You could easily substitute partridge though...

Switch 10, that's a sweet approach. I love the idea of putting the foam in there. Heck, you could even "bubble it up" so it poked through the feather which is making the wing case so it looked even more "emergent" so to speak. Very cool little fly.

I agree, foam is such an awesome idea for an emerging nymph. I don't know who the credit goes to though unfortunately. It's just a mass produced fly my local shop sells...

Oh, and if anyone is interested, It works too! :) I have been fishing it behind a heavier fly to get down. I'm hoping it gives that "rising" effect that you get at the end of your drift, only, throughout the drift...

Is that partridge for the tail and legs? I might be able to tie some up, hmmm

It's actually mallard flank feathers dyed yellow... You could easily substitute partridge though...

That was my second guess. Thank you :)

Haven't had to much time to tie lately... but managed a bit last night.

Started to repopulate my Ausable Bomber, RS2 and CDC midge emerger collection.

The Bomber is on a #14, the RS2 a #22 and the midge a #20.

The RS2 has a black thread body but I use a bit of dubbing on the thorax ahead of the wing bud (light gray saddle hackle used here)

The midge is a simple tie that's worked well for me on a local tailwater here in MA. I wrap the shank down and back 1X with white thread, do a 3 turn whip finish, then tie in black thread past the white on the hook curve, before spiral wrapping back up to the thorax. Coat it with UV stuff, hit it with the light, then add in the cdc feather wing and a bit of dubbing for the thorax. It's worked pretty well for me in the flim, and once sunk.

The bomber is as close to Fran Betters pattern as I can get it with the materials and what not that I have. It's such and unreal searching fly when chasing brookies...but everything eats it.

post-24830-0-35911600-1361390507_thumb.jpg

I was watching videos on Jim Misiura's channel on Youtube, and saw a vid for a March brown. So decided to try and recreate it. I didn't have the appropriate coloured thread and I think I need more practice rolling wings. But here it is:

Untitled-1_zps86a92825.jpg

Yep wing rolling, tear off/cut off more fibres than you think is right. I find I select fibres from wing, then double that amount. But that fly will catch. March brown a great pattern for range of imitations.

Couple'o spey flies

Those are some 'beauts!'

I have a fly fishing show out here in a couple weeks. Hoping to find some good bronze mallard so I can get back to some speys!

Thanks Chef! I have been buying all the affordable bronze mallard I have seen for some time now, gotten all four packages.. Good stuff is hard to find :(

Just a "little" Musky bruiser.. For those that are interested its an articulating pattern with two 6/0 Mustad 34007dt's. About 8'' total. Not the greatest angle for the shot but I was too lazy to take another!

SAM_1071_zpse6bd15b9.jpg