Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

Did up a couple of sandy candy spey versions, did a false beard as i didn't really have the right hackle...But a couple on #7 steelhead irons and then a few on #5 Gold AJ's.

P2032101_zps5691f82f.jpg

P2032107_zps7d8d026f.jpg

and just a few of these...

P2032105_zpse2d40763.jpg

and just to round it out a few HH BMS types for salt

P2012120copy_zpsb319521b.jpg

great fly wavey only thing I can see is the head is a bit big and the tag is to long but that dog will hunt for sure

I did wonder if I had made the tag too long. Thanks Riff :)

Wavey, I'm not sure the tag is too long for attracting fish. You've tied in a long body hackle and its a dark fly so that tag will act much the same as the tinsel bodies do and be a target for the fish. I would probably shorten the body hackle a tad if I made the tag the traditional length and then have the head hackle long to flow back. But as Riff said it'll fish fine as is.

Wavey, I'm not sure the tag is too long for attracting fish. You've tied in a long body hackle and its a dark fly so that tag will act much the same as the tinsel bodies do and be a target for the fish. I would probably shorten the body hackle a tad if I made the tag the traditional length and then have the head hackle long to flow back. But as Riff said it'll fish fine as is.

Thank you :)

Planettrout, has anyone asked you for a SBS tutorial of your photo process? If not then I will officially ask, I would really like to see how you get those great shots if you wouldnt mind sharing.

The background is a black file folder from Staples...the lamp is from Staples with a 60 watt Halogen bulb...I tilt the background till the image behind the fly is completely black ( this may also require pushing the lamp closer to the fly)..I am using a Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ3 with the Leica lense...I then run the image through Photoshop mostly to try and bring out the colors...

...any questions ?

PT/TB

Thanks for the info, with the colors that you get it almost looked like you might have been using a UV light but the Photoshop step helps explain that. I do not do any editting of my photos other than some cropping here and there so my colors are as they were taken. I need to work on improving my photos as much if not more than improving my flies.

Did up a couple of sandy candy spey versions, did a false beard as i didn't really have the right hackle...But a couple on #7 steelhead irons and then a few on #5 Gold AJ's.

Very nice work, I love the pinkies :)

You guys are killing me! Time to get back to do some married wing flies! I may dig out my spey hooks too.. I got some a while back but have never really tied a true spey fly! Look out!

Keep em coming guys.

@Rolson..some serious beauties dude.

@Jam'.. love the colors on that pink fly. What kind of hackle is the pink spey? What is the body on the gold AJ's? Uni Big Fly thread?

y0 Chefben! The full dressing is taken from directory of salmon and steelhead flies and the sandy candy 'Silvey Spey' version.

Used 'burnt spey hackle' or 'burnt goose shoulder' for the hackle but stripped off the left hand side and soaked in water to soften the nasty thick stem. And the body calls for hot pink or fuscia floss but i only had 210 denier thread and glue, so just did touching turns and i think 4 layers. At the head or the front the body is hot orange dubbing (camera doesn't pick it up).

Can't decide if i like them on irons or standard spey hooks yet, have to fish them!

Might just put up a pic of 1 gift box i have completed for a friends flats fishing, i give him flies every year and he usually uses them all.

P2032112_zps1d69d798.jpg