Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

They're really not that bad casting. There's only about 4 inches of zonker and nothing else absorbs much water.

These are trout sized but you could certainly stretch it out longer. Although then you would be getting a lot more water logged zonker to cast.

Hooks: #6 B10S, Chopped #1/0 el cheapo hook, #2 B10S

Connections: beadalon and glass beads

Tail: marabou

Body: ice dub

Hackle: schlappen and UV polar chenille twisted up

Back: Magnum zonker

Rubber legs

Head: Craft fur dubbing brush

Eyes: dumbell

-Mike

Mike can you expand on the hackle/chenille twisted bit? Are you wrapping the chenille around the schlappen then winding over hook or winding hackle then winding chenille up against that?

I twist the feather and chenille together to make sort of a hackle rope. Then wrap it up the hook.

Mike can you expand on the hackle/chenille twisted bit? Are you wrapping the chenille around the schlappen then winding over hook or winding hackle then winding chenille up against that?

A little articulated streamer action with the popular "Cheech Leech":

8437606699_e06d7f5da9_z.jpg

Love the look of this artic. fly, Curtis; I can only imagine how much movement it has in the water!

These were supposed to be Hot Headed damsel flys for a swap but now I call them Hot Banded because well.. I ran out of hot beads! They ought to work still! All size 10 with deer creek thin.

SAM_0887_zps66528cbf.jpg

I love those Damsels Chefben. You got a recipe for them? smile.png

Thanks Wavey! No problem..

Hook- Size 10 (I think 2x long, not sure though. Not really familiar with freshwater hooks!)

Bead- Gold or whatever color you would like. Match size of bead to hook size

Thread (body)- Uni 8/0 Olive

Tail- Light Olive Marabou Clump

Body-Olive Ice Dub and Red Wire (Brassie Size)

Hackle- Chartreuse Hen Back Soft Hackle

Hot Band- Uni 6/0 Fire Orange

Pretty simple tie actually. Place bead on hook. Cut marabou plume to size (about 1.5 times hook shank) and tie on. Cut 4" piece of red brassie wire tie well along shank back to marabou. Dub a fair amount of ice dub on your thread and work your way up the till you are behind the bead. Wrap wire in even turns, tie off, and cut behind bead. Bind down good with some thread wraps. Prepare a hen back hackle by removing fuzzy hackle towards the bottom. Tie in hackle by its tip and palmer it forward being sure not to trap hackle fibers. Clip end of hackle, whip finish olive thread and clip. If you choose to do a hot band, simply tie in a small section of thread behind bead head with your fire orange thread. Whip finish and coat with your favorite top coat.