Fly Tying

What's in YOUR vest?

It's 12 degrees outside, with a wind chill of 1, and so it's that time again!

What's in your vest?

Yep, I got the bug and decided to clean out from Fall and actually switched to an older vest that for some reason (it was probably cold outside some night...) I switched out of for a new one. Here's all the stuff in my vest not counting the flies and my net.

post-63-0-25910500-1359769050_thumb.jpg

On the lower right, WAY too many ways of floating flies, including a bottle of Gink adn a bottle of Frog's Fanny.

Just above those, a container of sinkers and a ball of moldable weight putty.

Above those are a couple of speciment bottles (I actually do use these when I catch something I know the fish like), and a stringer just in case.

Down the middle are a busted multi-tool (in cheap ones a screw always comes out eventually. Don't buy cheap multis!) and a foreceps.

Next are some sanitary hand wipes, and below those, a stack of leaders and some line/leader connectors just in case someday my whole leader and connector get pulled off (yeah, I know, the odds are against it, but it could happen!).

Below that is deliar #1 a measuring tape, and below that a Fenwick tippet wallet holding 4 spools and 3 spools that don't fit.

To the left of those is deliar #2 a Berkely scale, and above that is a stomach pump which I use rarely and very gently I promise!

Um, please don't tell that I did all this on the couch!

Oh, by the way, there was a #6 Zonker, a #4 Black Ghost, a #4 Dragonfly nymph, a #4 Sheep minnow, and a #10 Stimulator all loose in one pocket. That doesn't count as "flies" though, 'cause they weren't in a box! They also are a the reason why I reach very carefull when I go deep into my vest pockets. wink.png

So, beside fly boxes and your net, what's in your vest?

32 boxes, 9 tippet spools, 12 leaders, 3 different split shot containers, 2 forceps, 2 snips, first aid kit, suvival kit, rain poncho (vacum packed), net, thermometer, 2 cereal bars, bottle water, 2 fly dryers bottles, 2 fly floatant bottles, 12 different float aids, knife with file small, 2 vials for insects. Thats before I look at it.

a bottle of gink, a pack of desicant to dry flies(homade by me using silica gel beads crushed with a hammer),hemos, nippers 7 sppols of tippet, 5 leaders, strike indicator putty, polarized glasses, pack of split shots, hand vise, ziplock bag full of hackle feathers dubbing chenille thread tinsel a pair of sissors and a bobbin and bodkin, magnesium fire starter, knife, and the last thing in the very bottom of the last pocket is a bottle of bug balm to keep the mosquitoes and black flies away

Hah hah. Very good.

Rif, how do you find the crushed silica works? Do you dip the wet fly in or while its dry?

My vest is kinda on the light side, 6 fly boxes, forceps, scissors, amadou patch, fly line cleaning pad thingy?? Gink, priest, 3 tippets, wallet with leaders.in it. Think that's it.

I have a container from my mom's test strips from her glucometer that I cut a notch in the rim then fill it 3/4 of the way full with the silica gel that I crushed toss the wet fly in the bottle pull the tippet into the notch close the lid shake it a couple times its dried and ready to hit back on the water it works great with cdc flies to

I wrote an article on this very subject you can see at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/bobboese/bobboese20090824.php.

Today I travel MUCH lighter. At most two fly boxes filled with three of each fly I might use. I do a lot of research before going on the water. A Tiefast combo tool on a zinger gives me nippers, file and tiefast tool. Forceps and extra tippe are about it. catch'em let'em go.

I have some of those containers so will smash up some sillica (is it the stuff that comes in packs with shoes etc?) and try it.

Forceps, needle nose pliers, tippet and leader material in sizes 2lb test through 8lb test, a couple ore made leaders, 1 or 2 fly boxes, dry fly floatant and my net.

a bottle of gink, a pack of desicant to dry flies(homade by me using silica gel beads crushed with a hammer),hemos, nippers 7 sppols of tippet, 5 leaders, strike indicator putty, polarized glasses, pack of split shots, hand vise, ziplock bag full of hackle feathers dubbing chenille thread tinsel a pair of sissors and a bobbin and bodkin, magnesium fire starter, knife, and the last thing in the very bottom of the last pocket is a bottle of bug balm to keep the mosquitoes and black flies away

It looks like you everything, but flies. Ha! Ha!

Piker ... does that priest ever help you catch more fish than those around you, or is it more mysterious than that?