Fly Tying

The Dr Slick scissors are made for surgery (there are very few scissors made just for fly tying, the market isn't big enough)

Not true. Dr. Slicks were developed by a doctor (the company was sold to the employees last year), but they are designed for fly tying. They import SS scissors blanks from Pakistan, and then rework them in their own US facilities to bring them up to standards. The relatively small market for their product is part of why they cost so much, though.

There are other quality scissors out there, and you can make do very nicely with many of them. You don't have to spend the big bucks if you don't want to. For years, I used a pair of 3" decoupage scissors I got from Michael's. Worked fine, and cost less than $10.

The advantage of the Dr. Slicks is that the jaws are lightly serrated, which makes hair and hackle fibers stay put when you are trying to cut them. This results in much quicker and neater trim work. Necessary? No. Desirable? Very!

(no financial interest, etc., etc.)

Crackaig:

I think you hit it perfectly. Unless you find thingfs like dying feathers, making wax and all that other stuff part of the fun of tying. Isue the tungston types and the "scary sharp" method of sharpening you will find in the bamboo rod building forum or on a web search. You will need a "good" jig for precision of the angle. I sliced the crap ou of my hand last year and after the doc sewed me up, he left the emergency room and I grabbed the tools. Hell, I paid at least a grand for them and he was going to throw them away. Still have the forceps but the scissors were crap. One and done.

Westcott puts out 'Titanium bonded' ones that have worked well for me.
About 6 bucks in the sewing department of Wall Mart.
The curved tips are very fine for getting in there to get that annoying stray fiber.

Phg,

I suspect that they may have been "discovered" for fly tying, but a vet friend has shown me the catalogue he orders surgical scissors from which shows an identical range. Also if developed for fly tying why do they use the surgical colour coding on the loops? Seems an unnecessary expense in the production for fly tying scissors.

Recently I have started discussions with Fiscars about the development of fly tying scissors. I already use them for my larger scissors, they are superb for hair work. but the loops are a little small. Watch this space.

Cheers,

C.

I still have a couple of pairs of the Doc's, but have switched over to an exacto knife or simply a single edge razor blade in the past couple of years. MUCH closer and neater cuts. I still use the scissors to cut some materials.

I purchased a pair of Orvis Scissors from he local fly shop ... sharp point, can't believe I waited this long, the point is perfect for trimming deer hair around the eye of the hook, probably going to buy a curved pair also

I you are good at sharpening and can match the cutting angle take a piece of glass like a microscope slide and put a piece of auto body wet (black) sandpaper on it. I like 600 to 1000 grit. Wet with a fine mist of water. Course scissors can be done with a fine belt sander. I like Ice scissors because they come apart for sharpening. Leonard Lee has a book on sharpening most anything.

I love my Dr.Slick's, I have had Tiemco and some other no name brand, and surgical scissors and hands down, my Dr. Slick's beat them all. I really have no problem putting down a little more for quality tying tools, just like so many other things, quality tools can make a difference in how much you enjoy doing something. Like others have said, if you buy crap you get crap, and that's what I started tying with, then I made an investment into my hobby, and it became more enjoyable, because loose ends were easily trimmed with better scissors, thread didn't get cut by metal bobbins, and a rotary vise made tying some flies easier. I know for a fact that if I hadn't put out the money for better tools that I wouldn't enjoy it as much, I very much like most of the stuff I have now, just need to save for a Dyna-King now, that will probably be the last vise I purchase(maybe, maybe not).

I tie with a guy that has a pair of titanium scissors that he picked up for $15 and swears by them, and they come with a lifetime guarantee. He purchased them from a club member and I haven't found out much about them, but I know if they get dull, he can send them in for new ones or for sharpening, all he has to pick up is the postage. I will see what I can find out about them tonite when I see him.

Blane

A friend on another forum sent me a pair of "Anvil Ice Stainless" with adjustable loops, I use them strictly for hair. For my everyday trimming I use a "La Cross Premier" cuticle scissor from Wal-Mart. Though I have dozens of scissors from different manufacturers these are the ones I consistently go to. On occasion I will use a x-acto knife for that extra close trim...

Murray

Hi Folks,

I believe Dr Slicks scissors are made by this company http://www.zonafishingtools.com/index.php (or they were 6 years ago when I was importing stuff) , they also make hairdressing and surgery scissors and other tools. Someone posted earlier that although Dr Slicks are made in Pakistan they are sharpened and finished in the USA, I can't contradict this and I have know reason not to believe it, however when I used to import scissors direct from Zona Industries they were plenty sharp enough and other than the logo I couldn't tell them apart from Dr Slicks. They stayed plenty sharp enough for a good length of time provided I looked after them!

Looking after scissors is the key. If you pay big bucks for a pair of scissors how likely are you to really look after them and only cut thread, feathers etc with them leaving another older or cheap pair for cutting the stuff than can cause damage and wear? I'd say quite likely. However if you are using a very cheap pair it is easy to get complacent and to not be quite as careful therefore dulling the edges quite quickly.

When all is said and done I don't think there is anything wrong with splashing the cash for something that enhances your enjoyment of your hobby or work, generally this leads to you taking more care of your tools which then in turn pays back by them not letting you down and thus increasing their perceived worth / value.

If I was in the market for some new quality fly tying scissors I may have a look at something made by these http://www.rubis.ch/en/ as they also make these http://www.c-and-f.co.jp/c_and_f_e/flytyingtool/flytyingtool/f_tool/ts_1.html however I am also considering going down the Wiss Snips route as advocated by A K Best in his book Production Fly tying.

Has anyone used the Wiss Snips? How did you find them? Would you recommend?

Cheers

Mick

I kinda subscribe to both theories and use a system like Mick described - I keep two pairs on the desk - one "good" pair, and one cheapo pair of fine cuticle scissors from the discount store. Using the cheap pair for mundane chores and cutting the nasty stuff minimizes wear on the good ones and saves them for jobs that require precision cutting. The good pair I have now has lasted 10 years or so, and I don't replace the cheap ones all that often. Works for me anyway.