Fly Tying
mikechell

The animals tying materials come from.

Mike Would you use a number two heavy load? How far do you lead them?

Double ought buck and you need to lead them by a country mile.

What, you guys go after wild ones in flight ??? I use a hand snare and a good dark night. These things are too loud, by far, to be allowed to infest a neighborhood. They might be beautiful, but they make terrible pets.

Here's an idea someone should run with...I've had this idea for awhile, but I'll never do it, so somone else should.

How about a pattern book organized by critter with beautiful pictures of the animals, the pelts, and then some example flies that are typically tied with them. It would be interesting to have info on the animal - where it is found, some of it's history in fly tying, characteristics of the dubbing, etc. It would be very interesting to build on the info in Darrell Martin's Advanced Fly Tying (I think that is what it is called) book, which has scanning electron micrograph photos of the hairs, showing what makes the hairs (or feathers) good for some applications vs. others.

Heck, you could even insert some synthetics ... have some pics of a Z-lon in their natural habitat...

e

Sounds like a good phd project for someone.

Mike, one of my neighbours has a peacock called charlie and he sleeps in her kitchen!! He knocks at the door when the light falls to be let in. Good for feathers though.

We've got some in our neighborhood ... about 200 yards away in a wooded lot. I haven't figured out how to get to them yet ... security lights and lots of chickens and peacocks. Make a racket every time a raccoon wanders through the leaves. I think they are paranoid survivalist. I've got my Ninja outfit from a few Halloweens ago ... and I've got several snares from camping trips ... I'll get one of those birds yet!

Down here in south Florida peacocks are fairly common (once you get away from all the suburbs and planned communities...). Those birds are the noisiest things. I'm sure more than one homeowner living near a bunch of them has considered taking up the shooting sports (and not for the feathers)....

A coworker of mine lives on a farm and has quite a few peacocks which are basicallly wild on the farm, if that makes sense. I was surprized that they do just fine in the Pennsylvania winters because I thought they were warm-climate creatures. They nest and keep their own population going. Unfortunately he has not given in to my pestering to come out and shoot one.