Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RichK

Fly Line

How do I choose the correct fly line for my rod. I have a Sage ONE 9' 5 weight rod on the way along with a Sage 2050 reel. I'm planning on fishing mostly streams for trout species.

This is like asking what underwear. Most modern flyline is good. I like Cortland because I bought a bad line and with an email they replaced it. I have probably six Cortlands. I love wet fly fishing and streamers so I like the Clear camo line. I fish bamboo and like how Cortland casts without overloading the rod. I have a 5wt Rio for my graphite and a 5wt Scientific Anglers and a 9wt SA. The 5wt casts well in graphite and it loads my old 6wt Orvis Battenkill better than a 6wt. Every line is a weight forward. Many new lines are over weighted and a stiff graphite needs thatto get the full potential out of the rod.

Go to a good fly shop, like where you bought the rod and ask to try some lines. It is a real personal feel that fits your casting style and abilities, like well underwear.

I like the cast some different lines if possible approach.

If not, I've been hugely satisfied with Wulff TT lines. They load modern stiffer rods super well and have held up great for me. I've used them in salt and fresh water with great luck.

I have used cortland wf 6 f for years. I think it is the 333 and been more than satisfied with it. Didnt cost a lot. I think I have changed line 2 or 3 times in the past 20 years.I just keep it clean and stored in a dark closet when not in use.

Has anyone ever used white river premium fly line? Picked it up on sale for cheap. Never used it before. It was cheap and within my cheap budget.

I have a Sage one 9ft 5 wt with Lamson Litespeed 11 reel.

It's loaded with a DT 5 Cortland Sylk line and I love it!

I have a Phoenix DT silk line on a spare spool, which is even better (thinner and less wind resistance) but it takes a lot of care, cleaning, drying and dressing etc.

Definitely try some different lines, everyones casting techniques are unique so there'll be the perfect line for you out there somewhere!

Simon