Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Breathable waders + Cleaning

Ok folks, I have to this point been a bit careful with my stockingfoot waders and clean the wader and my boots in tap water after every session. I am beginning to wonder if I really need to? My fear has been any bits of sand or grit will wear a hole in the neoprene sock although even jet blasting the boots doesn't remove the grit completely.

So..... How many trips between cleans for you guys?

I wear an old worn out pair of white athletic socks over my neoprene feet on stocking foot waders. Then I put wader gaiters over the top of the socks to keep sand out of the socks. The socks rub against the inside of the boots and protect the neoprene booties on the waders.

The back of the sock rubs against the back of the boot when you lift your foot to take a step. That is why socks wear out at the back even though they are reinforced there. That is where you will find rub spots on your booties.

I've never had the fabric on the neoprene wear or rub a hole.

The only time I wash the waders is the end of the season before storage.

Um I will try that with socks. I use the in built gravel guards but still find a good amount of bits in the boots.