Fly Tying
Fish For Life

Attaching large eyes

How do you attach large eyes onto flys. Im tying pike flys and i got some 3d eyes but how do they attach onto the fly. They have a sticky back but im sure one fish and they will be torn of easily. Is there a special way to attach them on or will a bit of epoxy do the trick.

Thanks

A dab of epoxy probably works best. You can also use zap-a-gap or other CA glues. I use Goop on a lot of my eyes and they stick on really well. One method I use on some baitfish patterns is to super glue the eys on and then but a coat of epoxy over the hole head and eyes, it's indestructible

E-6000 glue (walmart) under the eye. If posoble, cover the eye with epoxy and be sure to overlap some onto the surounding material.

Here's the solution that I came up with for that problem (and I do lots and lots of flies with plastic eyes....). The product you're looking for is called Fletch-Tite and it's a special glue for those that make their own arrows... I've always been able to find it at my local Bass Pro shops. It comes in a tube with a long thin applicator (designed for laying a line of glue to mount feathers on the shaft of an arrow - but perfect for adding a tiny dot of glue for eyes....).

Here's the best way I've found to use it.... Only mount one eye at a time then use a clothes pin or mini clamp to hold the eye in place for about five minutes (I'm usually doing production work so I do one eye on six or a dozen flies, then come back and do the other side. Fletch-Tite will mount eyes that are so durable that they'll survive almost anything the fish can do to a fly in saltwater. I've learned not to use those pretty 3D eyes if I want something to last. The hard plastic doll eyes are much, much more durable in actual use...

Here's a pic or two.... Only one of the woolheads use surface glued eyes, the remainder are done with lead eyes...

post-30940-0-18670300-1361803587_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-43454500-1361803621_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-71387900-1361803664_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-32380000-1361803726_thumb.jpg

I use super glue and then I build up some UV resin on and around the eye. In the case of a smaller thread head where the eye is actually larger than the head itself, I use the eyes as means of building the head.

post-35746-0-78272600-1361816943_thumb.jpg

CCG, watch the video on EPFlies.com, he has a great tutorial. I don't like Zap A Gap due to the supergluelike residue it leaves

Plummers GOOP is a perfect solution! - I stick all my eyes on all materials with it. Comes in a tube, It’s available at all hardware stores, is reasonably cheap and really works great. I even use a dab under the eye when putting eyes (3/8"epoxy dome eyes) on fur heads. You just have to apply a light pressure to the eye after it’s attached for a few minutes.

I also use GOOP - a trick for applying the eyes: I wrap a strip of double-sided tape around the tip of a flat wooden coffee stirrer or a toothpick, then use it to pick up the eye by the domed side. Apply the glue with a bodkin or toothpick, and press the eye where you want it. When the eye's in place, gently roll the taped tool off the eye.

GOOP gives about as strong a bond as there is - I've found it to be more durable than superglue when bouncing flies off the rocks, but a lot of it goes to waste. I'm definitely gonna follow Bob's suggestion and try the Fletch-Tite.

Here is what I do, I take an empty syringe and use Goop diluted slightly with tulene. I put just enough on hook shank to cover entire back of each eye as I press them on the fly.

Dont use superglue anymore as it been mentioned as it will leave a nasty looking rhite residue.

I let it dry for about 30 min and then I mix up 5min epoxy , cost the thread niose and part of the eye in front and on top.

With some practies in you will get it down rather easy.

I only use CCG on small flies as larger flies use a lot and it not as good as epoxy.

I did use Fletch tite once and it ate the color off the EP Dome eyes. On 3D eyes, it loosened the adhesive backing and the eyes fall off. So dont use it!

If they are sticky backed on the paper, I just slip my bodkin between the paper and gently lift off, position it where you want and push down with my thum on my other hand, and maneuver the bodkin out. Then I apply varnish/epoxy/whatever over that.

If I'm using none adhesive eyes, I use a similar method to the one Peterjay mentioned.

Phish... I"ve been using Fletch-Tite commercially and for my own bugs for more than five years now.... I've yet to see the problem you've described. Since I've never found the domed or 3-D eyes particularly durable when used by my own anglers - I've pretty much quit using them, preferring the solid doll eyes that come with the stems you have to clip off (what all the Puglisi flies use....). Those very nice looking dome or 3D eyes have never performed well for me (maybe because I don't cover them with epoxy...or any finish) no matter what adhesive was used...

I have struggled with attaching the eyes as well. Where to you fellas get the dolls eyes. I have looked for them at Hobby Lobby and Jo Anns without success...I make some of my own eyes. They are not quite a nice as the store bought but just like horse shoes...close enough, at least for me.