Fly Tying
Alex C.

How long does it take you to tie a fly?

How long does it take you, on avg., to tie a dry fly? What about nymphs, etc.?  

406 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Overall, it probably takes me longest on average for dry flies, since i tie fewer of these than anything else. However, if I'm spinning qand trimming deer hair, it can take 20 minutes per fly easily. for a fancy finished balsa bodied popper, the time is probably closer to an hour (not counting finish drying time). The trick is to budet the time so you can get a bunch of flies done in batches...

the dries take me longer, because I don't use them much down here in Louisiana. I tend to tie a lot of streamers, nymphs, crawfish and shrimp (saltwater) patterns.

Mark Delaney

The one thing that was hinted at but not stressed is 1) to prep a whack of materials all at once. This could include ripping apart a neck or saddle and sizing the feathers (each size placed in an envelope). 2) sit down with one pattern that will reinforce tying skills that you already have, or introduce new ones SLOWLY. 3) Tie up at least a dozen in 2 different sizes, focusing on that one pattern.

By introducing these ideas into your tying you will have material ready to go with out digging through a neck for that one no.16 feather that you are looking for. The other two ideas will help with muscle memory and moving from one step to the next and proportion consistency.

Art

Now I see we are talking about dryflies only. THen it is not 60+ as I voted. More around 5-15 min depending on pattern. Of course som patterns take more time.

Depends on what fly, but the least I take per fly is 6 min.

On Salmonflies and complex patterns it takes me 45min. minimum (even longer if it is my first time trying them or my own pattern).

It seems to me that I take longer than most to tie my flies. I think a lot of my time is spent trying to learn how to choose the right feather off the saddle or which bit of hair or fur to use. When I took my first real tying class, the guy teaching focused on the tying techniques. He would hand me a feather and then show how to attach it. Then I got home and I had to learn how to select a feather of the right size off the cape or saddle.

I have to agree with one of the more common comments I've seen here. It is a matter of practice and experiance. I have little confidence in selecting feathers and I am often second guessing myself. If I would lighten up and use the first "good" feather I find I would be better off than spending so much time looking for the "just right" feather.

I'm working on Stimulators right now. I'll be teaching this at a tying session later this month. I've tied about 10 of them in the last two weeks. They are taking me about 30 mins apiece. Part of this is I am trying slight variations to see what methods and materials work best. I stopped by my local fly shop a week ago and the store manager tied one for me so I could see how he ties them. He had it knocked out in 10 mins. And that was slow because he was taking time to explain things to me as he went.

I expect that the more time I spend at the tying bench overall, the less time I will spend at the tying bench per fly. I must say I was very impressed watching some of the tyers at the show last weekend. But those guys tie so much more than I (or most folks) do. I was particularly impressed by Norman and his Nor-Vise. I don't think that is the right vise for me, but I was amazed at what he could do with it.

OMO, YMMV

More later,

Ken S.

Put myself in your catagory 4< been tying less then a year, tie not to complicated flies, enjoy sitting at the vise, Some of the easy ties, buggers, wooly worms, gnats only a few mins. takes longer to setup then tie fly.

Depends on the fly. If I'm doing somrthing like a Partridge and Orange, with materials laid out I can tie 1 1/2 doz in an hour. More complicated patterns take longer. But I don't have the need to crank 'em out like that as a rule. Too much of that type of thing takes the enjoyment out of tying for me.

Since I broke my hand twice last year it takes forever!!!! The thumb and index finger just ain't working like they used to. I've tried tying lefty and that's even worse :hyst: :hyst: .

I'll just have to try and get back to where I was.

Fatman

I havn't been tying that long but i can whip up diawl bachs, ptn and flys quite quickly. I put myself in 6-10 minuites because i havn't really attempted any complicated patterns yet.

I usually spend 10-20 minutes but I'm distracted by the computer or something while I work. I try to make my flies extremely durable, so that when I lose them in an alder tree they don't fall apart for years.

I used to tie quite abit, then I became a truck driver. When you cant tie alot you loose your skills. Been off the road for a yr now, and I can still only tie one about every 20 min. thats a basic dry though. Tail, slim body, and a palmered head. Im not even gonna think how long it would take to tie a hopper again.

for me with only tying pike and saltwater flies it depends on the patterns my most basic baitfish minnow takes around 4 mins to make where as the big ep flies for the pike is around 10 mins

good question though

tight lines all

dave mcfluffchucker

(a cave in scotland)

I'm not a commercial tyer and dont have the need for speed.

I like quality vs quantity. (nothing wrong with quantity)

I just tie at my own pace and tie up whatever I'm out of in a sitting or two.

It works for me but may not work for you.