Fly Tying
shoebop

Discipline at the bench

I just read a great article in MidCurrent e-zine. Thought I'd share it with everyone. I must admit to too much whimsy and "what if" thinking at the vice. I'm not sure I'll ever quit but I now realize that no discipline at all in flytying is subversive to my efforts on the water. It's not a long article so have a look.

BTW doesn't his fly look a lot like something Uncle Ken would tie?

http://midcurrent.com/experts/flies-of-innocence-and-experience/?utm_source=MidCurrent+Fly+Fishing+Email+Newsletter&utm_campaign=20287e4a6c-Newsletter_February_27_2013&utm_medium=email#

That fly looks like he tried to cram about 6 different patterns onto one hook. I agree with you, we can over do it if we allow ourselves. Too much imagination & materials on one hook may not be a good thing. His fly may very well be productive, but it's not the kind of fly I would tie. My experience has taught me that more is usually less. However, I may have tried something like that when I was getting started tying.

It seems so obvious written down but I admit the habit of tying identical patterns and becoming proficient with how why and when to fish them and having enough in the box to allow risk taking is something im bad at.

My problem is, when I loose a really good producing fly I can't replace it sometimes because it was "one of a kind" and I can't remember what materials I used or what size hook or something. I literally have hundreds of flies that are one of a kind. Unless I catalog every fly I tie, I am "up s*** creek" if I loose one. Sure, I can tie one "like" it, but I can't be sure what it was about that particular fly that made it successful.