Fly Tying
FishDragon

March Flies from the Vice

Tied these for a friend for his trip to Montana next week

He had been in the area before he told me what he used last time and we rolled with it

post-44625-0-69969500-1362385960_thumb.jpg

post-44625-0-87692700-1362385973_thumb.jpg

post-44625-0-92771500-1362385984_thumb.jpg

Not sure of why the clarity difference from the orginal picture, and the email picture that is posted but hopefully you get the idea

Nice one Rolsen, well nice several really. Its a great pattern.

Big fish are relative, and the statement of sizes without of context means little. With this in mind, my "best" ever fish came to an Ammonite, cast well upstream of where I suspected the fish to be, and dead drifted into the "zone". It was a size 6, tied on a Partridge heavy Czech Nymph hook. The hook was bent out of shape when I landed the fish, in a way that could only be caused by the fish crunching the fly. It was some trout!

For production tying I have modified Steve's original technique a little. The floss is omitted and the desired colour of thread for the under body is used. Usually I use UTC as I like the vibrancy of the colour. The lead foil I put on upside down and in reverse order. That is I put the adhesive upward to help running the thread over it. Then I put the shortest run of lead foil on first, working longer with each strip. This means I do not have to spend as long smoothing out the foil.

When I mentioned this to Steve he looked at me like I had two heads! He immediately saw the benefits, and couldn't believe he had missed such a simple way to make the tying easier.

Cheers,

C.

For production tying I have modified Steve's original technique a little. The floss is omitted and the desired colour of thread for the under body is used. Usually I use UTC as I like the vibrancy of the colour. The lead foil I put on upside down and in reverse order. That is I put the adhesive upward to help running the thread over it. Then I put the shortest run of lead foil on first, working longer with each strip. This means I do not have to spend as long smoothing out the foil.

When I mentioned this to Steve he looked at me like I had two heads! He immediately saw the benefits, and couldn't believe he had missed such a simple way to make the tying easier.

Cheers,

C.

Oh, now that you said it - obvious! Thanks for sharing!

UV2HWFRENCHIE-1-_zpsbf79f04a.jpg

UV 2 HW FRENCHIE – Egan/Variant…TMC 100SP BL, #14 – #20…or TMC 403 BLJ #12 – #16…

MONNYMPH-1-_zps3ada85b9.jpg

MON NYMPH – TMC 2499 SP-BLB, #18…

PINKSPOTNYMPH-1-_zps90415c88.jpg

PINK SPOT NYMPH – TMC 103 BL, #17 – #21…

REDANDBROWNTRIGNYMPH-1-_zps39affa7d.jpg

RED QUILL TRIGGER NYMPH – TMC 103 BL, #15 – #17…

PT/TB

Ill add to this Month.. Here is a color variation on the pattern I made for Franken Fly called the double down! Wanna know how to tie it? Check out the SBS sub-forum for a link to the SBS.

SAM_1177_zps00ed5060.jpg

Another attempt at tying the spey style of fly

Great job on that tie; lots of excellent patterns this month so far!

Here's my most recent that I tied for YouTube; it's a Charlie Boy Hopper, which was created by Charlie Craven. Enjoy...