Fly Tying
Sjbellrichard

Florida, Inshore, Snook, Redfish, Tarpon

Will be fishing Florida, gulf coast near Ft. Meyers in June. Will target Reds, Snook, Lady what ever. Really hoping for my first Tarpon.

Never fly fishe saltwater before and will be using a 6 and 8wt.

See the attached and let me know what else I need.

Thankspost-44670-0-14699000-1362189926_thumb.jpg

post-44670-0-55172100-1362189887_thumb.jpgpost-44670-0-33805000-1362189949_thumb.jpg

Looks like a great fly selection. You might want to have a few poppers with much shorter tails (you'll find that long tailed poppers will foul a lot as you cast them). In my area of south Florida and the Everglades we can cover almost all of the bases with an 8 and a 10wt.... You'll rarely find those picture perfect days when a 6wt is handy. If you're wading though, you'll be able to get close enough that your six weight will work....

Early June there's not too much rain so the waters are clearer than the latter part of June when the rainy season starts & waters start to look like a big vat of Guinness. A #6 overlined with an intermediate #7 fly line is great for snooking on the beach with white schminnows & DT's. An #8 is good for the flats with crabs, spoonflys, kwans, clousers & baitfish patterns if the winds aren't too gusty. Tarpon season will be winding down, but EP flies for silver kings on the #8 will probably get your rod splintered as the reel disintegrates because baby tarpon aren't what you'll be jumping ! Have seen #9 & 10 weights turned into shards with 100 lb+ poons. #11 & #12 weight fly rods are called for.

I would recommend at least 3 or 4 white shminnows with beadchain eyes. You do have a nice selection. Are you taking a tying kit so you can replace what they are eating? You will be upset if you lose and can't replace your best fly or find that you need a different size fly than what you have tied. I was sure glad I took mine last year on my trip.

You have a real good looking box of flies there!

I would add some Seaducer's or some of Capt Bob's flies in both weighted & unweighted versions. Here's a link to a previous discussion where Capt Bob posted some pictures.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=71373&hl=

I rely pretty heavily on these types of flies for bass fishing in tidal creeks & for various salt species that come into the creeks & rivers. Although the synthetic flies are good, IMO, the natural feather flies have a different action & sink differently, so you'll have another option. smile.png

Great looking flies! Are you going with a guide? That would be your best chance at a tarpon unless you have some good local knowledge and/or advice from a friend that fishes the area.

Ladyfish, almost anyone can walk up to a beach and have a decent chance but the other three fishes usually require some knowledge of where to find them. Even the best flies and you certainly have those, will do no good in barren water.

Kirk

Thanks to all. Will add those recommended flies and shorten the tails on the poppers. Will also bring a kit to repair and replace. I've fished these waters before from shore, yak and guide boat, so I think I will be able to find them. The attached photos are the flys I'm sending my friend and blue collar guide so he can give them a try.

Again, thanks to those posting here and on utube. Really shortens the learning curve.

post-44670-0-88584500-1362322040_thumb.jpg

post-44670-0-46773400-1362322066_thumb.jpg