Fly Tying
Dzura

Mono thread

I see for a bunch of salt patterns that they use mono as the tying thread is it a special kind or what pound test do they use?

I use clear polyester that I get in the thread department of Walmart. It looks exactly like mono.

I use clear polyester that I get in the thread department of Walmart. It looks exactly like 4 lb. mono.

Same here. It usually comes in a decent sized spool. I just set it on a nail in my desk to let it turn freely and spool up an empty thread spool that fits my bobbin. Speaking of bobbins, use a good clean one like a ceramic tipped one so you don't nick the thin mono, which will lead to certain frustration.

Kirk

I also use the Walmart stuff and respool it like Kirk does. Some tyers use mono as their standard tying thread, which is one possible reason why you'd see it listed in fly recipes. Its main advantage is that it's transparency allows colors to show through. I mostly use it to hold materials in place before applying epoxy. Once it's coated, it disappears entirely. It's good stuff to keep on hand, but unless there's a specific reason to use it, you can certainly get away with using your regular thread.

Like the others, I also buy clear sewing thread. They often call it "invisible" thread. I use it on a Griffin Rod Wrapping bobbin, which is large enough to hold the bigger spools.

I've also used mono in 4lb test or even 2 lb. Regular mono can be useful since it comes in different colors, even some heavier test. Before vinyl ribbing materials were readily available, mono was used for such things as bodies on Bonefish flies & patterns such as the Glass Minnow. It still has many uses and of course can still be used for bodies. I use regular mono, like 15 lb test as a counter rib sometimes on flies such as Woolly Buggers to help make the hackle more durable. It adds very little weight, and is not costly, particularly since I usually have a spool of it around anyway.

Danville Chenille Company has mono threads too. It's available in clear & smoke, but is the basically the same as the invisible thread sold for sewing, just on a regular tying size spool.

Why am I hearing about this Walmart thread for the first time!! Good to know guys. Mono thread was on my list to buy the fly fishing show next weekend

Why am I hearing about this Walmart thread for the first time!! Good to know guys. Mono thread was on my list to buy the fly fishing show next weekend

Ditto

Because you didn't ask the right questions! laugh.png

I have a Joanns Fabrics near my house, so that's where I usually buy it. Most such places that sell sewing items might have it.

Funny...I have Hancock Fabrics right across the street and bought plenty of thread there but never noticed the clear

Time to go back and get some since I have misplaced my 4lb spool.

Put me down as one of those 2lb, 4lb, 6lb mono users -and I even have one or two very old, very large bobbins that use 10 or even 15lb mono to tie jigs commercially with (deep jigs from 1 to 6 oz. in size...). Since I used to be a fanatic light tackle angler (before coming back to guiding in the mid nineties) all of my tying mono came from already used line that was being replaced off of one spinning reel or other.... The ultimate in re-cycling. As a guide I quickly had to give up the lighter line stuff since all it did was send my anglers home talking to themselves... but still have a lifetime supply of the stuff.

Here's a pic of an old favorite bonefish pattern that was always done in 4lb mono...

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-17583000-1362333384_thumb.jpg

On this topic how do you find the mono weathers in the salt? I don't fish every day or even every week, unfortunately so my thread tied flies will hold up ok but I've noticed the mono leaders become jagged and brittle in no time at all?

Most flies with mono thread also have glue on them. I know when I tie in synthetics with mono thread, I'm putting a drop of CA on the wraps and usually a mono head is finished with epoxy or equiv.

Mono will deteriorate with exposure to sunlight but at what rate, I don't know. When you store your leaders, keep them in a drawer/flybag out of the sunlight.

Kirk

Hancock def has the clear mono on a spool, its mixed into the thread rack somewhere, I got some and only paid $0.95 for it