Fly Tying
Fish For Life

what you use to carry your gear

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im needing to buy something to carry my gear in but i don't know what. i dont want anything to big but it needs to be big enough to carry your general fly fishing stuff. What are the pros and cons for the different types.

thanks

I got away from vests a couple of years ago,went to a fishpond waterdance pack until i ran out of room.Just bought the umpqua legends 650 waistpack.All day on the river with no weight pulling on my neck.

maybe it's just me but i think part of the fun of fly fishing is getting it wrong with the gear choice. you can make an educated guess on what you might like, but you wont really know til you try 'em.

that being said i have a william joseph access pack and it's ok. I fish small creeks so gear isn't all that important - I could probably get by with some well stocked shirt pockets and a knife.

My pro may be your con. Gotta roll the dice every once 'n a while.

I have this bag...it might be a bit bigger than some of those packs but I put a couple waters and my video camera in there for day trips. I need to rig a waste belt so that I can take some of that weight off my shoulder though. I am going to purchase a smaller one for those light little jaunts up the creek though. Some days you just want to be unencumbered when following the thin blue lines.

When I'm just fly fishing or spin casting during the summer, I use cargo shorts with the bug pockets on the legs. They're pretty good fishing shorts for wading; I don't dry fly fish much so water in my flybox isn't a problem. But When I'm in the NC smokeys, I like to both fly fish and spin cast( the trout up there are very fickle creatures, I could be using a minnow pattern on the fly and get nothing then switch to a silver Vibrex (inline spinner) which is about the same size and catch fish on it) so I use a vest to keep my extra supplies(tackle boxes, tippet, pliers, multitool, water). I put my ultra light and my fly rod in the fly rod case and both reals in the vest. I have some parachute cord tied to the case so I sling that on my shoulder.

I said other. Steelhead (Aug - Jan) I use the pockets in my waders. Just need a box of flies, an extra leader and tippet. Spring Creeks (Jan - April) I use a chestpack with a small backpack on it. Only reason I use this is because it fits over a heavy coat. Lakes (Apr - June) I keep everything in the pockets in my float tube. Trout (Jun - Sept) I use a vest.

I do not like chestpacks because I can only fit 1 or 2 boxes in mine. I know many people think that is all you need, but hey, I tie my own flies so I am going to bring 4 boxes because I have them. I only use my chestpack on a local spring creek because I have fished there for some time and know what flies to use, and I can fit them in one or two boxes.

I voted sling bag which I really like but I also still wear my vest as I can't seem to cut back on how much stuff I carry. I'm working on that. When I do, I will only carry the sling bag. I like stuff and I have to carry it all it seems. I think if I got a lanyard for my flyfishing tools that I might be able to eliminate the vest.

I voted for sling bag. (whatever that is) I carry a shoulder bag that will easily hold 3 or 4 fly boxes and other needed stuff. My current bag even has enough room for a bottle of water and a snack if needed. I usually put the water in my shorts pocket though because of the weight. It is too hot here to wear a vest and the bag can be slid around to my back to get out of the way. I don't really like my current bag because the zipper opening is awkward to open and close so I am looking for a replacement but I refuse to pay $150 for some the real nice ones. 2 or 3 external pockets is a big plus for extra leaders and tools a other things I sometimes carry. I attach clippers to the bag strap for easy access. Sometimes I just carry a small box in a shirt vest pocket and clippers along with a rod and reel and hit the water. I do prefer to carry the bag with lots of flies that I never use.

Picked me up a nice vest from the White Water Fishing shop in Bass Pro...It's been great for 3 or 4 years...no issues with it. It's got lots of pockets and space for holding things, and I don't have to worry about leaving anything behind or dropping anything in the river.

I use a lanyard when I am wading, now. I made mine for less then 15 bucks. I've been using it for the last couple of weekends, and I really like it.

got a fishpond chest pack probably 10 yrs ago? and it is great. i wear it as a sling pack just thrown over my should. i can fit my large streamer box and two small fly boxes inside along with all other tippet, leaders, etc. i always find myself still wearing the vest mostly for the purpose of easy access to camera, pliers, etc

I have been using the fishpond sagebrush vest for 4 years now, It is by far the best I have had in 30+ years. The pockets are place just were they need to be and it has all the hard point for gadgets. The bets part is the suspension system even during the main part of the dry fly season when it is fully loaded it does not put a strain on my neck.

steve

Hmmmm. I have always used a vest, but you got me thinking - I may have to try a pack of some kind. I fish from my kayak alot - need something that would hang to my side.