Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTieDad

Most difficult fly?

Hello,

I've seen some really nice fly's here and some look so much like an insect it's enough to send some screaming.

But I was wondering, what is the most diffucult fly you've tied or seen tied?

FlyTieDad

This is one of the more difficult flies that i tie. Its a white bellied mouse for those who dont know what it is.

post-29960-0-79879000-1362494479_thumb.jpg

Whatever fly I am tying at the time. I have trouble getting all 10 thumbs to do what I want them to do. There is a reason that I like simple flies.

for me my arch nemesis is one that almost anyone can tie Glo bug eggs just give me fits I get orders for them every fall and I tie 2 dozen for every dozen I sell because I can't get them exact

AMEN! They seem so simple

Oliver Edwards Heptagenid flat stoneclinger nymph is the hardest I've attempted so far. Enough to test my skills to the max!

Followed by a size 30 aphid parachute.

Simon

For glo bug eggs get McFlyFoam, really easy to tie with.

For me right now my hardest fly to tie is spey type flies. Getting the bronze mallard to tent properly takes me longer than tying the whole fly.

for me my arch nemesis is one that almost anyone can tie Glo bug eggs just give me fits I get orders for them every fall and I tie 2 dozen for every dozen I sell because I can't get them exact

AMEN! They seem so simple

two words for you:

McFly Foam.

J out.

Full dress salmon fly. They take so long and every thread placement is so important. As Far as most difficult part, it would be tying the wings of correctly and keeping that head very small.

For a fishing salmon fly, it would either be tying in squirrel tail as a wing, or tying a spey fly.

As far as trout fly, I think spinning hair head on a muddler is a pain.

There are 2 types of flies I don't tie. One, as others have mentioned is the full dress feather wing Salmon flies. I have no need for them, don't tie display flies anyway, nor have the patience. I have the deepest respect for those who do however!

I also don't tie quill wing wet flies. I've tied them, and with a lot of temper tantrums & cussing can tie them, but those darn wings always give me a fit. dry.png

Yep for me it's any fly I try without the proper materials. Although you can swap many materials around, I find the ones quoted are often the best choice if you want it to turn out like the photo you're following. trying to make do with inferior floss is driving me nuts.