Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flybum101

LAW

hey new on her gonna start out with big question is the law vise still available found web site but no contact e-mail not sure if site is up to date or not if so how much are these vises heard all kinds of numbers thrown around but nobody really seems to know looking forward to meeting up with everybody on here so big hello from North Caroilna

No. Unfortunately he stopped producing these vices. Ebay may be your best bet but they are going for over $2000.00.

I haven't tried one of these vices but I am planning on getting one
http://www.jvice.com/

Forgot to say "Welcome". Great forums here and alot of great tyers as well

I brought a Jvice and think its great. Use the search function and look over the various threads on vices as if you are spending big bucks you want to be sure it suits you.

Hello North Carolina, headed back home this weekend. Unsure of what area you are from, but I know the Asheville area has many shops that could help you.

sounds like you be in for better weather than we having right now probably be in asheville this weekend wishing you safe travel probably be at hunter banks sat if make it over in time

Lawrence Waldren stopped taking orders for the vise about two years ago. He did sell the rights to the design to someone but I'm not sure if any knock-offs have been produced. I was offered $2,000 for mine when I was tying at a show last year. but I could never part with it.

There is a knock-off, but I don't believe the guy bought the rights. I think it is a straight up copy. I could be wrong and may be corrected by someone here.

http://www.caeengineeringservices.com/

It has taken a hammering on some of the UK fly dressing sites. Does not seem to be well received. There used to be prices on the website but can't seem to find them any more. From memory it was about £300-£400.

If I were going to be spending that kind of money I would buy a Jvice if I were you.

There is a knock-off, but I don't believe the guy bought the rights. I think it is a straight up copy. I could be wrong and may be corrected by someone here.

Hans W. posted here, sometime back, that it is unlicensed. Still kinda interesting though...

Hans W. posted here, sometime back, that it is unlicensed. Still kinda interesting though...

Lawrence has not handed over any of the rights to the design - not to any party, and certainly not to CAE.

Cheers,

Hans W

Lawrence has not handed over any of the rights to the design - not to any party, and certainly not to CAE.

Cheers,

Hans W

So, does this mean there will be a LAW suit.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I saw this and I know the truth. I have E-mailed Lawrence himself. This all came about when I contacted him to ask if I could start making LAW style vises to sell. He wrote this in his letter to me. He would not appreciate me making his LAW style vises to sell. Which was fine by me, that's why I asked him first. He also said, and I quote "He has never said he was not ever going to make the vises again . He is taking a break from it " He did not say how long of a break. I brought up the copy vise to him made by CAE engineering. His reply was that he wasn't happy about it but he was not going to take any legal actions. Life is too short. He also told me the person was thrown out of a fly tying show in England for showing this copy vise. This is from Lawrence himself. So take it to the bank or write him yourself like I did.

SILKHDH