Fly Tying

I use the small riverge ones. I use a uni knot but go through ring twice before winding over the line and passing tag down through the loop made by going through eye twice. I have found any knot that holds fluro line well, ties the rings without slipping. BUT I have used them less and less as I don't think they solve the dropper tangling issue which was why I started using them in the first place. The fish definately see them as I have had tiny fish try to eat these over the flies I had on.

I only really use them now if leaving a length of thick mono at end of fly line then tying leaders to that.

Anyone using these? If so what knots do you use to connect leader to ring and tippet to ring?

If you are using a knot, just use the same knot as you would for use for a tippet to fly eye knot. Or you could use a loop to loop connections with the ring as one of the "loops"

Yes and no--I do incorporate metal rings into my furled leaders, but instead of buying "tippet rings" for around $10 for a bag of 10 (when last I checked), I go to a jewelry making supplier and buy a bag of 100 "jump rings" (which are exactly the same thing) for around $5. I've used them for years and they work beautifully.

As far as attaching them, I use basically a handshake knot with the two ends of the leader. A furled leader will have a tiny loop at its very tip--this is formed during the spinning (or "furling") of the leader. I thread the tip of the leader through the jump ring, then I use my bodkin to widen that tiny loop in the tip of the leader just enough to thread the butt end of the leader through it. The jump ring is then trapped, woven into the leader itself.

I use them all the time, just the normal knots I use to tie on my fly. I also use them on spinning tackle for attaching a mono leader to Nanofil. They work great.

Bryon, I'm glad you've had no problems with jewelry jump rings but all the ones I have used in jewelry repair over the years are NOT the same thing as tippet rings. Jump rings would have to be soldered closed, they are usually made of soft metal, and even the smallest ones are significantly larger than tippet rings. Jump rings are just a piece of wire coiled around a rod then cut through- intentionally "open" so they can be slightly bent with pliers and re-bent closed to hold clasps and findings.

They are nowhere near as strong as tippet rings, but if they are strong enough for your purposes then you're doing fine.

Bryon, I'm glad you've had no problems with jewelry jump rings but all the ones I have used in jewelry repair over the years are NOT the same thing as tippet rings. Jump rings would have to be soldered closed, they are usually made of soft metal, and even the smallest ones are significantly larger than tippet rings. Jump rings are just a piece of wire coiled around a rod then cut through- intentionally "open" so they can be slightly bent with pliers and re-bent closed to hold clasps and findings.

They are nowhere near as strong as tippet rings, but if they are strong enough for your purposes then you're doing fine.

JSzymczyk, I have used the jump rings for years and have never had a problem. I've used them for trout and smallmouth here in Michigan and have landed some pretty heavy fish, up to 20", using them. I buy mine online from www.artbeads.com. I get the fine closed jump rings in sterling silver. I don't know what process they use to close them. There must be a seam, but I can't see it without magnification and I've never had a tippet break at the ring. They go down to 2.15mm, which is pretty darned small; I can't imagine that the ones being sold by fly fishing retailers are much smaller than that. As for strength, I've never used the ones marketed specifcally for fishing, but these cheap ones have landed the biggest fish I've been able to catch, so that's good enough for me. :) Perhaps if I got into salmon or steelhead I'd need something stronger, but I wouldn't be using furled leaders for those fish anyway.

Hey Bryon,

I took a look at that website, which size do you use?

Mike

Nevermind, I think I figured it out!

Mike,

Sorry, I got pulled away (by work, how annoying) and didn't get back to the forum until today. I use the fine closed jump rings in sterling silver, size 2.15 mm.

Bryon

I received my order of 100, 2.15mm jump rings today. These are great. They are nice and smooth. I immediately tied a couple peices of 20 lb mono to one (threading was no problem), and try as I might, I could'nt even bend them. This was a great tip Bryon. Thanks!

I received my order of 100, 2.15mm jump rings today. These are great. They are nice and smooth. I immediately tied a couple peices of 20 lb mono to one (threading was no problem), and try as I might, I could'nt even bend them. This was a great tip Bryon. Thanks!

My pleasure! As I recall, I got the tipoff to those rings from another forum, years ago, when Feather-Craft first started offering their tippet rings for sale. Been using them happily and without a hitch ever since. Happy furling! :)

Anyone using these? If so what knots do you use to connect leader to ring and tippet to ring?

For several years I do not fish without a tippet ring! I am using Improved Clinch Knots on both leader & tippet.

a barrel swivel can do the same thing and is much easier to work with in my opinion.

A barrel swivel can do almost the same thing - I think even the tiniest one you could find would still be significantly heavier than the tiny 2.15mm rings. I know Feather-Craft has been offering specialized furled leaders for streamer fishing with the barrel swivel conncection, but for delicate dry fly presentations I still think the rings are going to work better.