Fly Tying

Byron,

Thanks for the tip about www.artbeads.com I have been trying to find bulk packs. I ordered some 2.5 and 3.0, man those 2.5 are tiny and should work great on my lighter furled leaders. If they are as strong as you say, ( I have no reason to doubt it) this is a great tip and a great find. Thanks again!

At Pyramid lake most nymph fishermen use a two-fly rig. The dropper fly is attached to the tag end of a blood knot which is left intentionally long (8-10"). Can tippet rings be used to attach a dropper fly? Piker20 implied that that was what he was using a tippet ring for, but maybe I just misunderstood him.

Can tippet rings be used to attach a dropper fly?

Yes. Just tie an extra piece of tippet to the ring. You may find it performs differently than the blood knot method, because the knot will tend to hold the long tag end out from the main leader more than will happen with the ring. It depends on the characteristics of your leader material. Only way to know is to try it.

Excellent! Thanks for posting this.

I've used tippet rings and I generally make up spare leaders with tippet and ring, saves the frustration

of trying to re-tie when the troots are hitting in failing light. Just loop on a whole new leader/ring/tippet

to your fly line loop and fumble round looking for that last fly wink.png

JSzymczyk,

Thanks. I think I will give them a try. Pyramid flies tend to be quite large (e.g. #10 TMC 2457 hook) and getting the dropper fly tangled with the main leader is a fairly common occurrence. Usually the tag end is 2X so it may be stiff enough to keep the dropper fly from getting tangled. At least it's worth a try.